Which 8GB RAM for MBP 2010: NuRAM or OWC

Reaction score
Hello All
I want to install 8GB (4GB x2) RAM in my 13" Mac Book PRO (MBP) purchased in Jan 2010.
On the OWC site there are two brands:
1. NuRAM 8GB costs USD 195.
2. OWC 8GB costs USD 235.

Which one do you folks recommend? Any help will be welcome.
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I always buy OWC rapper ..... Always been impressed with there products and customer service. Living in Aust we need to look OS for a supplier and couldnt be happier with OWC :)

Umm just curious as to what you will be doing to warrant 8GB in a 13" ??
I had PS4 running on my old White MB without any problems what so ever with only 2 GB in it, no lag in rendering but ran a lil slow with the amount of brushes it needed to play with. 4 would have been screaming.
Sorry i ask, bc i just cant think of anything that would require 8GB in a 13" ... Anyways its your hard earned $ .. Just curious is all

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
+1 ^ 13", 15", and/or 17" notebook :)

OP
rapperswil
Reaction score
TattooedMac
Thanks for your response.
a. I am not sure if you refer to buying from OWC (the store) or the OWC products themselves.
b. Why do I need 8GB of RAM - I plan to run Oracle Databases under Solaris/Linux virtual machines.
c. I could so with some advice here: Do you think it is wiser to just upgrade to 4GB and buy an SSD Hard drive? My hesitation towards buying an SSD is that the technology is not mature (performance falls over time), and the current prices can only buy me about 64GB (within 150).

6STRING,
I didn't get what you were trying to say.

Thanks all

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go with the 8GB if you intend to run Oracle under Solaris or Linux from a VM. I would avoid spending money on any SSD until the time comes when Apple updates OS X so that it supports TRIM. I'm guessing that the next major version of OS X will provide support for TRIM but who knows when that will be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TattooedMac
Thanks for your response.
a. I am not sure if you refer to buying from OWC (the store) or the OWC products themselves.

My bad buying from OWC ..... Never had a problem with any hardware ....

Go with the 8GB if you intend to run Oracle under Solaris or Linux from a VM. I would avoid spending money on any SSD until the time comes when Apple updates OS X so that it supports TRIM. I'm guessing that the next major version of OS X will provide support for TRIM but who knows when that will be?

Agree.

The SSD are not quite up to speed as yet for me to spend my $ on. Give it a year or so and i think we will see a lot of improvement on them ...

Good luck

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.