iWork of Office 2008 for Mac?

Reaction score
I recently bought an iMac which I really love and plan to make my main computer replacing my Windows 7 PC.

I'm currently using Microsoft Office 2007 on my Windows PC and have a large amount of Word .doc and Excel .xls files mostly created with Office 2003.

I need to be able to open and edit these files and wanted to ask others who have made the shift to Mac whether they have any problems doing this with iWork?

My doc files are mostly pretty simple without fancy tables or graphics and my Excel files are also pretty basic with no graphs or charts.

I've seen comments that Office 2008 for Mac isn't as good as Office 2007 for PC and I'm aware there is the chance of a free upgrade to the latest version of Office for the Mac in November. However, I would just prefer to make a clean break and go with Apple based software.

I know I could use Parallels to run Office 2007 but this just seems a step backwards to me.

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts on which way to go with this and any problems or successes you’ve had.

Duncan

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you insist on using Office for Mac, then you should wait a little while longer as they are releasing a new version of Office.

There is also trial version of both that you can try out. Google is your friend, as well as the search function on the forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
I'd go for Office 2008. If your looking for 100% compatibility than thats your best bet. iWork always has some sort of issue when you export to .doc or .xls or whatever.

As CrimsonRequiem also pointed put a new version of Office is due out soon (not sure of the exact date) so if you do purchase Office 2008 than I think you get the newer version for free…not sure exactly how that works so you'd have to find out more via google…

Office 2008 is pretty slow but based on reviews of the newer version its much faster. much much much faster…lol

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Microsoft Office, OpenOffice.org and iWork all have free trials. All are compatible with the Microsoft Office formats. I'd try each and see which one suits your fancy. I'd say for 95% of the folks out there, OpenOffice will be more than suitable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch Macbook Pro Retina, 2.7ghz, 128gb SSD
Well it depends. I think for a heavy user open office wouldn't be ideal. Try and create a complex document using images, tables, graphs etc in open office or Pages and there will always be something wrong with the document…It depends on the user, if your a light user than its fine but for heavier users open office isn't a great option.

But yeah they all have free trials so just download the them and see which one you like the best…

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a big proponent of Open Office (I feel it's bloated), however, in this instance I have to agree with cw107. Since it's free and will save to the Office format by default, it's probably best for most folks. The big disadvantage to using iWork in my opinion is the fact that it can not by default be set to save in the standard Office formats. It has to be chosen each time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I'm not a big proponent of Open Office (I feel it's bloated), however, in this instance I have to agree with cw107. Since it's free and will save to the Office format by default, it's probably best for most folks. The big disadvantage to using iWork in my opinion is the fact that it can not by default be set to save in the standard Office formats. It has to be chosen each time.

I actually don't mind cause...I always use "Save As..." feature anyways, as it gives more options. I don't see that as being a disadvantage. >_>" That's just me though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I have both iWork Pages and Office Word. A simple outline can be converted between them, but to manipulate them is very frustrating. Maybe a more advanced user can deal with it, but for myself anything more complex then a normal letter or document, takes an ordeal cause it just doesn't 'act' right when you try to make changes in something more complex such as an outline.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Stick with Office as it is the top application in this field, however wait until next month when Office 2011 for Mac is to hit the shelves.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I actually don't mind cause...I always use "Save As..." feature anyways, as it gives more options. I don't see that as being a disadvantage. >_>" That's just me though.
That will cause problems for a lot of people especially those who aren't computer savvy.

Reaction score
Having gone through the switch myself fairly recently (two years ago), I emphatically recommend Microsoft Office. When it comes to compatibility with Microsoft formats, everything else is inferior. Yeah, other programs will open MS files, but if you did anything more than basic formatting (like font and style changes), then your docs will never look the same.

I'd love nothing more than to purge MS from my life entirely, but there's just nothing better in this arena. Even the POS that is Entourage is better than the alternatives. I think it's fair to say that MS built a large part of its empire on business power users -- and it serves them (us) very well.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That will cause problems for a lot of people especially those who aren't computer savvy.

If you can distunginsh between "Save" and "Save As..." I'll give you a cookie.

20100906-njj83rhdqqfmw3s7xf3tqu9mg3.jpg

20100906-ne83u518y5hagxt6p1egmwqr8u.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'd use whatever does the job you need performed best. Generally, I wouldn't use the idea of "all Apple" or "all MS" products as a basis for buying a product. That's a bit short-sided unless there was a specific integration point in the software that I actually used.
I actually bought iWork some years ago because "MS sucks" and ended up buying Office for Mac 2004 anyhow. That was because I was using my personal Mac to do work for a corporation I was employed with at the time. iWork and OOo didn't work well when I brought in presentations and spreadsheets that looked horrible and other people had difficulty correcting and editing. I saved pennies to cost dollars in the end because corporate America uses MS to exchange documents.
These days I have a Win7 VM running Office 2003 and 2007, so it's not an issue. I wouldn't spend money again on "Office" type apps for personal consumption unless there was a specific need, since OOo and NeoOffice work fine for my personal stuff. Keep in mind that Oracle may be changing OOo at some point and making future versions not-free. Still, until file formats change drastically OOo works fine. Like said before, whatever tool accomplishes the mission.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Keep in mind that Oracle may be changing OOo at some point and making future versions not-free.
Oracle's purchase of Sun is probably the worst thing that could have happened to Sun's software portfolio. They frustrated the OpenSolaris community and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they frustrate the Java, OOo and MySQL communities.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your suggestions, in the short term I'll probably go with Office for Mac. Longer term I may get iWork too because I really like the look of Keynote.

Duncan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I have them all, and still use office for day to day word processing (habit), but just like CrimsonRequiem, I have a habit of 'save as' going on, regardless of which app I use (which takes a whole 2 seconds off my life) :)
End of the day, it's about what you are comfortable with using.
For those of us who pretty much only use MS Office for word processing (creating a doc), it really doesn't matter, as they are all compatible, and as I mentioned earlier, habit takes me back to Word, but, they all work :D

Reaction score
unanswered

Given that I want MS Office, is it MS Office 2011 for Mac, or MS Office 2007 for Windows plus VMware?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MS Office 2011 for the Mac will be released late October. The newest version of Office for Windows is Office 2010. VMWare (Fusion) is a separate application which must purchased in addition to Office. Office 2007 is an older version of Office released back in 2007.

Reaction score
asked another way

Lets say I have windows and vmware already on my Mac. Is it better to get MS Office 2011 for Mac, or MS Office 2010 for windows?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lets say I have windows and vmware already on my Mac. Is it better to get MS Office 2011 for Mac, or MS Office 2010 for windows?

It's going to end up costing you more money if you go with the Virtual Machine + Windows + Office.

In the end it's your money and you should just get whatever you are comfortable working with.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.