G5 (early 2005) OS Issues

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just recently got a G5 machine from a friend of mine and had to put a new hard drive in it (purchased brand new). It will not load from the disc he provided (one of the gray discs with OS X 10.4.10), and it reports a kernel panic. If I have the actual OS X 10.5 file on a windows computer, can I simply use that computer to install OS X 10.5 on the hard drive of the mac without having to use a disc?

Here is some info on the Mac:
Power Mac G5 (Late 2005)
500 GB Western Digital SATA HDD
2GB RAM

Any help is greatly appreciated as I am slightly new at this. :Blushing:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I have the actual OS X 10.5 file on a windows computer, can I simply use that computer to install OS X 10.5 on the hard drive of the mac without having to use a disc?

You won't get any help here when doing illegal activities!

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to assume you have the original Leopard DVD set and that you wish to make a copy of it and place it on your Win machine in order to install it on your G5? It won't work as you can not install from the Win machine - not withstanding the legality of the copy.

You need to buy a retail version of Leopard (going to be expensive) and install it direct from the superdrive on the G5. If the drive is defective, you may be able to install from another Mac (firewire to firewire) or buy an external firewire superdrive.

OP
G
Reaction score
I apologize pigoo3, I omitted a word. When I typed "without having to use a disc" I meant to type "a recovery (gray) disc". I hate pirates as much as you seem to. chscag, thank you for your suggestions and seeing my original plan. I was hoping to avoid repurchasing the software, but it seems I have run out of options.

Thank you both for your prompt replies,

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.