Question about 3G usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4GHz/ 4GB ram/ 250GB HDD, 2nd Gen 16GB ipod touch, 64GB + 3G iPad
Hello! I have a 64GB 3G iPad, but I have never signed up for 3G service. I have to travel to the Mayo clinic in a couple of weeks and was planning on signing up for a months worth of service to have for the trip. I plan on using it to watch movies on netflix between testing & at night, surf the net, and maybe the maps (although I have a droid for this use...I might still use it)

I have no idea how much data I will use...so will I get some sort of warning if I am going to exceed my limit? Or is there a way to check to see what I am using?

Sorry if this is a dumb question....I'm a little scatterbrained trying to get all my ducks in a row before I leave.

Wendy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Yes, the iPad will give you a warning once you have 5-10% remaining and then warn you again once you have 0% remaining. Once you run out, it will give you the option to purchase more data.

I believe you can check usage under Settings instead of waiting for the warnings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
Yes. You can check your data usage under settings. General tab. Usage bar. Add sent + received = total data.

If you are going to stream the videos from iTunes, recommend downloading them BEFORE you use the 3G. Unless you have an unlimited iPad (like me). :)

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you :)

I will be streaming the movies off of Netflix, but from what I understand Mayo has wifi and the long term hotel we picked is giving us free wifi since I'm a patient, so I could use wifi when in those places. I'm assuming there is a way to turn on the 3G........

Wendy

C

chas_m

The iPad will default to Wifi when an open or "known" (previously connected) secure connection is available.

3G is used when no Wifi is available.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you :)

I will be streaming the movies off of Netflix...

Just a word of warning. If you're going to be streaming movies while connected via 3G...you will eat through your data plan very very quickly. Leave the movies for WiFi if you can.

- Nick

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the warning....I'll try to only do movies when I have wifi. I just won't watch any movies on the car ride.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the warning....I'll try to only do movies when I have wifi. I just won't watch any movies on the car ride.

Here's a chart that estimates how many minutes you get from a 3G plan depending on the type of activity:

Data Plans with Wi-Fi - DataPlus & DataPro Plan - Wireless from AT&T

As you can see...streaming a 1 minute Youtube video (standard quality)...you would only get approx. 200 minutes of 3G usage (3 hours, 20 minutes)...with the 2 gigabyte/month data plan. Only 20 minutes with the 200 meg/month plan.

Streaming Netflix movies may be better...but you can get an idea of how quickly you could eat up a monthly 3G data plan.

- Nick

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ouch! Thanks for the info!! I would have run out quickly for sure. I wish they still had unlimited :\

Wendy

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish they still had unlimited

Get in line...a lot of other folks feel the same way!!!

On the other hand...the current AT&T data plan allows you to subscribe month to month...and cancel at any time.

- Nick

OP
wsd73
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going month to month IS a nice feature. I don't want to sign up for it every month since I already have a data plan on my Verizon Droid, but having the option to do it every now and again is nice.

I just found out that my hotel doesn't have wifi, just wired internet :Confused:

Ugh!!! They said I'd need to bring an ethernet cable to hook up my computer...but I wasn't planning on bring the laptop, just the iPad. If I take my a router, would I be able to plug that in and just use that for wifi, or do I need a computer to set up the router? I've never tried to use a router w/out a computer.

Thanks....

Wendy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.