turning a laptop into a desktop, need help?

Reaction score
i currently have a macbook pro purchased late 2009. My family has just purchased a new flat screen TV and we have no use for our old one. I've decided to transform my macbook into a desktop computer. i am going to use the old TV as a display screen, a wireless mouse and wireless keyboard. I would like your opinion on whether this will work and any suggestions or changes you recommend. i am going to buy the mini DisplayPort to hdmi adapter from the apple store and use an hdmi cable i have lying around to connect the macbook to the TV. i will then attach a wireless keyboard and mouse i have from an old imac to my macbook . Will this work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes... maybe. There are variables and you'll have to do research to make sure you have everything you need to suit your particular tv and MBP. See this thread and do a forum search (or Google search) for "Clamshell". This is a well-covered subject on here, so don't forget to use the search function before posting.

Thanks.

OP
Y
Reaction score
thank you so much for that link. I have learnt that my version of the macbook pro does not send the audio signal through the mini displayport. Since there wouldn't be sound coming from the TV i have had to rethink my whole setup. I now need to acquire a speaker. I have also learn't that my setup should workfine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.