TrackPad Sensitivity - Can It Be Adjusted?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I recently went from a 2007 plastic MacBook to an aluminum 2010 MacBook Pro. Everything is status quo except the sensitivity of the trackpad. I'm constantly highlighting entire pages or moving photographs in Internet articles, and don't mean to! It's driving me nuts. The Trackpad section of System Preferences doesn't have adjustments for sensitivity or if it does, I don't recognize it. Are my fingers too "heavy" on it? Is there a certain section of the trackpad I should avoid touching?

I also find myself frequently moving icons off the Dock, then have to go into Finder/Applications to replace them.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I did the same upgrade except to the 15" model. I used to have the same problem.
First up, I unchecked the dragging which helped heaps, and as for sensitivity, with the left and right click I got used to it, as far as my hand getting used to the fine touch required.
This is a screen shot of how I have mine set up, and it works really well for me.
Just give it a bit of time :)

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Thank you!! Is the "Secondary Click" the same as a Right Click? Otherwise, how do I do a Right Click on the MBP? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I've had a similar problem on a few laptops I've used on both Mac and Windows. I now always turn off the dragging option and tap to click features on every laptop I buy.

Thank you!! Is the "Secondary Click" the same as a Right Click? Otherwise, how do I do a Right Click on the MBP? Thanks again.
You can also press the trackpad with two fingers to do a right click. I prefer the secondary click feature which turns the right bottom corner of the trackpad into a right click. It's just a natural habit after many years of using Windows laptops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.