Problems connecting MBP to TV via minidisplay port & HDMI.

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have bought a recent (2010, 2.4Ghz) MacBook Pro that according to my research should support audio and video over mini display port to HDMI.
I want to hook up my new sony bravia 32" LCD tv (sorry i don't have the exact model number) as an external display of the MBP.
I have bought a mini display to hdmi adapter and a hdmi cable and hooked the two up, however neither of the devices recognise the other. The macbook screen goes blue for a few seconds once the cables are plugged in but does not detect display on either waking from sleep or pressing the button in the display prefs.
I have tried varying the order in which i start the devices.
I have made sure i am on the right input settings on the tv (tried all 4 hdmi inputs).
and still the macbook will not detect the display.

Please can anyone offer any suggestions on what i might be missing here?
It had been suggested to me that perhaps the frequency that the mbp screen works needs resetting to match the tv?

My next step is to buy a new mini display port to hdmi adapter to test if the original (new but untested) one was faulty (i have tested the hdmi cable and that works)

Would massively appreciate any help on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
The sound will not go through the HDMI cable. Run an audio cable from the headphone jack on the macbook to an input jack on my TV with the HDMI cable to get sound.

As for your screen problems, I can not remember the solution. I know I have seen it before.

OP
I
Reaction score
The sound will not go through the HDMI cable. Run an audio cable from the headphone jack on the macbook to an input jack on my TV with the HDMI cable to get sound.

As for your screen problems, I can not remember the solution. I know I have seen it before.

Im Pretty sure that i have one of the newer machines that will support audio over the mini display to HDMI, however even if i don't i would assume that i should still get video and the macbook to recognise the TV and vice versa. I do have a spare audio cable at home so i could try attaching that aswell to see if it makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10.5.8 Black Macbook 2.4 GHz C2D 2 GB RAM 250 GB HD
Im Pretty sure that i have one of the newer machines that will support audio over the mini display to HDMI, however even if i don't i would assume that i should still get video and the macbook to recognise the TV and vice versa. I do have a spare audio cable at home so i could try attaching that aswell to see if it makes a difference.

Since you have a newer mac than me, there may be a difference, but I am running SL. Here is what I do to connect my mac to the TV. Regardless you should have a picture without sound.

I have my mac on and TV on. Make sure the TV is set to the correct port/input. Do you see anything on the TV?

Connect the mini display, then connect it to the HDMI cable.

Then connect the HDMI cable to the TV.

The screen will go blue and flicker for a couple of seconds.

After the flickering stops. Open system preferences, then Display. Click the box Mirror Displays in display in system preferences?

The way I understand your post, is the blue screen just stays on your lap top. Correct?

OP
I
Reaction score
I have tried connecting the two in various orders but without much luck (nothing registers on tv screen before or after cables are connected up) , i will try again tonight in the exact order you mentioned and post back soon.
My problem is not that the blue screen stays on, once i connect the the minidisplay to hdmi adapter (which is at this stage connected to the back of the tv) the laptop screen temporarily goes blue as if it is detecting a display then within a few seconds reverts to normal. When open display preferences as it can not detect a display it hides the settings relating to mirroring etc.

I hope im making this clear, your help is appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.