Overseas App Usage

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
I'm stationed on a base in Turkey and my ABC player will not work on my iPad here and I'm sure there are probably other apps that wont work overseas. Is there anyway to bypass this? I found the PPTP VPN but that's like $40. any other solutions?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What you need is an American IP address. There are a number of proxy services out there that should do the trick, but I don't believe any of the good ones are free.

OP
U
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 in MacBook Air, 4 Gb RAM
are they at least a lot cheaper than $40? i guess when it comes down to it thats not much for a year but im still trying to be cheap ;) and how do i get the proxy service working on the ipad? also i have hotspot shield on my mac which just blocks my IP address, is there anyway to get something like that going on the iPad? Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
are they at least a lot cheaper than $40? i guess when it comes down to it thats not much for a year but im still trying to be cheap ;)

Most of the ones I've seen are a subscription service. You'll have to Google around for "proxy service" and see which one you like.

and how do i get the proxy service working on the ipad?

It's configured in Settings. This article is not specific to your proxy, but does get into the general process:

Proxy Setup for Apple iPad

also i have hotspot shield on my mac which just blocks my IP address, is there anyway to get something like that going on the iPad? Thanks!

I'd imagine that works like a proxy too. There's really no way to "block" your IP address. These services just act as an intermediary, sending a server to pull the site and deliver to your client.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.