viewing ebooks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I just downloaded an ebook for the first time since my text book is apparently lost in the mail and I have 2 days left to read 6 chapters and complete my assignment for my grad class. I was under the impression that you downloaded a .pdf and viewed it with the viewer of your choice. This was not so. I downloaded it from ebooks.com and they require you to install adobe digital editions (Of course had I known this before purchasing, I would have looked else where). At any rate I want to open this pdf file using preview so that I can highlight and keep notes and such (Completing my assignments with out making notes and highlighting is impossible).

Ive found the .pdf but when you try to open it with preview the contents are all funky symbols. I can only view it with adobe de. ***!! Any idea of how to fix this??

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When purchasing and downloading any books still under copyright (e.g. not in the public domain), they will be encumbered with the DRM of that particular seller and you will be required to install the specific software that seller of ebooks is using in order to read them.

Adobe DigitalEditions is a free download, as is the software for pretty much any other outlet of ebooks. It also has markup features, allowing you to create bookmarks, highlight text and add comments.

OP
Gaegujange Nick
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
One problem I have with Adobe DE is that it keeps losing my bookmarks and highlighting. I've found that it also loses the ability to use keyboard shortcuts and even use of the cursor keys to browse after its been open a while. I'm very frustrated with this. I'm using this as a text book for my grad course so the markup is very important and so is anything else that can save me a bit of time. Its also too bad I cant just cut and paste the quotes I need when writing papers, but its worse to lose them after I have already bookmarked them.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the app is not working properly, make sure you check for any updates - then I'd probably try re-downloading it, uninstall and re-install it.

Perhaps head over to the Adobe forums to see what they have to say first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.