Install Failed Message - Snow Leopard on a MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 17" MBP, a bunch of non Macs
Hi,

I have had Linux Mint on my 17" MBP, early unibody model for a month or two but I decided to re-install OSX snow leopard from my shrink wrapped copy. I booted to the installation DVD, used disk utility to delete all of the partitions and create a new Mac OS Extended Journaled partition with the GUID option selected. The installer goes through the copying of files normally but right before the reboot I get the following screen:

web.jpg

When I reboot, the new OS starts to boot but takes an awfully long time to boot if it's going to at all. I have tried this now with two different hard drives, and two sets of OSX installation media and it's always the same outcome. This is driving me a bit crazy because I've put new hard drives in Macs for years and this is not exactly a new process for me -- it just ain't working this time.

TIA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Are you just removing the partitions, or are you doing a full "erase" from Disk utility.
But if you say you've tried 2 harddrives as well - weird!

Buggy install dvd maybe?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you just removing the partitions, or are you doing a full "erase" from Disk utility.
But if you say you've tried 2 harddrives as well - weird!

Buggy install dvd maybe?

I completely removed the the linux partitions and created a single new OSX partition on both drives. The drive that's in the machine now is a SSD that was brand new. I also bought a third shrink wrapped installation DVD for Leopard because I thought my other two might be the problem, all to no avail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Did you purchase a Snow Leopard "Upgrade" package?
Is it possible that the SL is looking for an existing copy of the previous OSx?

Just a thought

DavidH

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you purchase a Snow Leopard "Upgrade" package?
Is it possible that the SL is looking for an existing copy of the previous OSx?

Just a thought

DavidH

Thanks for the input but no I have two store bought Full (not upgrade) 10.6 Family pack DVDs both yield the same result.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. Linux sometimes does funny things to a Mac. I've seen some real odd things happen after an install of Linux or even a dual boot with Linux and OS X. Anyway, give that a try and let us know.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. Linux sometimes does funny things to a Mac. I've seen some real odd things happen after an install of Linux or even a dual boot with Linux and OS X. Anyway, give that a try and let us know.

We have a winner, that cleared it right up. Thank you so much for your help.

Jamie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Glad you're up and running. Hopefully you're over any Linux desires. ;D

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK. Glad you're up and running. Hopefully you're over any Linux desires. ;D

I'm happy to have OSX back on my machine. While I do like some flavors of Linux, I think that OSX is a better implementation of Unix than all of them.

Thanks again for your help. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.