Problem connecting new Imac 27" i7 to Dell PC running XP

Reaction score
Help!

I am transitioning to a new Imac from Windows. I am trying to connect my Dell running Windows XP Home SP 3 to my Imac so I can transfer files. Using the Imac (running OS 10.6.4), I am able to connect to the Dell via finder -> go ->connect to server. I have the two computers hooked up via ethernet cable direct to each other. I can see the computer in the finder window under shared, and the window shows the hard discs being shared by the windows PC. However, when I click on any of the shared drives, I get the message "The operation can't be completed because the original item for {shared drive name} can't be found".

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reaction score
i am also interested in an answer to this - my old pc (also XP SP3) is now upstairs connecting to the wireless router through a usb dongle, the imac is downstairs with ethernet connected to the wireless router - I cannot get them to communicate

OP
L
Reaction score
Well, I have been able to set up the networking so I can log into the Mac from the PC, but still cannot log into the PC from the Mac.:Confused:

I am able to transfer files from the PC to the directory Public/Drop Box.

It would be easier to connect from the Mac to the PC, and just copy the files into the proper directories....

Any suggestions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.