External hard drive enclosure recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I have been scouring the internet looking for a reliable and economical external 2 (or 4) bay external enclosure (Drobo-ish). I would drop the money on the Drobo, if I didn't feel that I am paying for way more than I need. I do not need the redundancy that RAID offers. If you want to know why I don't feel I need it, read paragraph 2. If you just want to know what I am looking for, skip it. :D

I use time machine to back up everything I have except media files (itunes music library and movies). My itunes music library is on my mini and 2 different MBP's, so I already have redundancy protection there. Then there is my movie library, which is approaching 2.5tb. I do not need this protected, because they are all completely replaceable and I won't double the cost of my storage solution just to protect them. Time machine backs up all non-media to my 1tb iMac, which is plenty of room for the mini, and the 2 MBP's.

What I am looking for is a 2 bay firewire enclosure. Raid array capability is not important. Will be functioning as independent drives.

Right now, this looks like my most economical option. Newegg.com - VANTEC NST-400MX-UFB Aluminum Alloy and Plastic 3.5" USB 2.0 / 1394a / 1394b External Enclosure

Anybody know of anything out there like this? Or, If I just go NAS attached to my airport extreme can I save some money??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.