External Hardrive was working and now doesn't mount

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a harddrive that I set up and transferred files to. It started disappearing from my desktop and telling me it'd been improperly disconnected when my MacBook went to sleep. It has since stopped mounting entirely. It lights up when connected via USB but I can't access it. I looked in the disk utility and it doesn't show up at all. I'm running OS X Version 10.6.4. Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that your external hard drive is defective. Try mounting it on another computer if possible. PC or Mac. If the drive refuses to mount on another machine and is still under warranty, call the manufacturer's tech support and ask for a RMA.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks!

For whatever reason once I opened it on a PC it started mounting normally on my MAC again. Weird. Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.