Urgent help with moving program folders please

Reaction score
HELP PLEASE WITH MOVING PROGRAM FOLDERS Parallels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm new to mac and to this forum (not even sure how to post a new thread) but having problems as follows:

I bought my daughter a Macbook for uni as she is doing Graphic Design, and have set it up with Parallels 5 and Windows XP so she can still use Word, Coreldraw, etc.

I noticed that the main Parallels folder containing Windows XP was put in My Documents folder and, being worried she could delete this by mistake, I created a new folder in my documents called Do Not Delete and dragged the Parallels folder into it. BIG MISTAKE... then a message came up saying the link to Windows XP had been lost and it was shutting down. I still had a screen up and could see the new folder and click on that folder and see the Parallels file in it but couldn't find a way to put it back. There doesn't seem to be an UNDO function (tried CMD+Z and Control+Z - no good). Spent AGES on the internet trying to find something that would help, worried that if I shut down the Macbook I would lose the link.

Anyway, I clicked on something and realised that it had created a second folder called Windows XP(1) in the Virtual Machines list and the first one was not functional any more (?). OK, so I just needed a shortcut link on the desktop and then I could close it down. There seemed to be no option of making an alias. So I dragged it onto the desktop thinking it would create a link, but it has PUT THE WINDOWS XP PROGRAM ON THE DESKTOP, not a shortcut. It also changed the name to Windows XP(1)(1), so now I have 3 machines listed in my Virtual Machines list - ? Windows XP, ? Windows XP(1) and Windows XP (1)(1), although only the latter is functional.

My question is, how do I get the Windows XP program off the Desktop? Can I simply click and drag it back to the Parallels folder it came from, which is now empty, in My Documents? Should I put it in the Applications folder? And how do I put just an alias on the Desktop? Obviously I don't want to 'lose' the program, but can't leave it on the Desktop either as the file is too big. Will it create its own link automatically to the new location when I move it?

Sorry to sound so thick. Macs don't seem to work in the same way as PCs!
Would appreciate help from someone who knows what they're talking about!
Urgently needed as daughter goes to uni at weekend!!!!
HELP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.