Stop Bookmarks Auto-completing & Appearing in Safari Address Bar Drop Down

Reaction score
Think that sums it up.

There are a few bookmarks I have that I dont particularly want others to see ;) But I cant find a way to stop them appearing in the dropdown from the address bar on safari. Its linked to the auto-complete feature, ive searched around and cant find an obvious way to stop this (I have turned off the history links and have that killed after every session).

Is there anyway to stop the bookmarks appearing (i dont think there is) or is there a plug in I can get which will sort that for me?

Thanks for your help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
History > Clear History

You just have to remember to do it every time. Give that a try to confirm whether or not it works. Post your result.

OP
T
Reaction score
Nope. I'm not talking about the history I'm talking about the bookmarks.

I've stopped the history now I want to stop bookmarks appearing. Take a look and you'll c wot I mean.

P.s I don't want to fad with changing users.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've never heard of such a function as that would defeat the purpose of having a bookmark. If it doesn't show up in the list of bookmarks, what's the point?

Your best bet would be to stop bookmarking sites that you don't want others to know you visit. That or stop visiting those sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Yeah, I know. I just wondered if it wasn't in the History if it would still Auto-complete.

How about Safari Menu > Reset Safari...
Empty cache and Remove cookies?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks guys but if ur not familiar with safari u won't know wot I mean was hoping someone that is would have some ideas on external plugins.

To clarify. I bookmark a page and it goes into the bookmark bar where I filed it. Great.

Next day I log in with a friend next to me I type www.y and safari offers up the most relevant bookmarks below the address bar. I don't want that to happen as my friend could spot a bookmark I want secret.

If anyone has a setting or plug in idea to help I'd appreciate it.

Ideas like don't bookmark that site or use a different account or browser when with others or anything about history or cache is... less helpful.

Thanks.

OP
T
Reaction score
Quote: Yeah, I know. I just wondered if it wasn't in the History if it would still Auto-complete.

Yes it would. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Don't use a different browser when with others, use a different browser to open those "secret" sites and bookmark as many as you want. Seems like the only solution to me.

Reaction score
here's an idea

if you go to show all bookmarks you can create folders in there. Create one and put all the bookmarks that you want to hide, then drag the folder out into where ever else you want to hide it. You can even lock it if you know how. This will cause the bookmarks not to appear in the address bar anymore.

Reaction score
Hi tbutler12345!
Well I'm new here but I think I've got your solution!
I use the built in screen reader and whilst checking out things, in safari I looked at private browsing under safari in the main menu!
So without having to use another account or browser if you've removed those sites from your history and before going to one of them again!
switch on private browsing, it says when you open it that there will be no record in your history [and the bit you want] it will not be included in auto fill!
And seeing how old this post is that option was there from when you posed it!
So I hope this is what your looking for!
And just remember to switch on private before going to those sites and your problem should be gone!
Try it out and see what you think!
Colin

Reaction score
Got it.

go to Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks.

There is a Column called 'Auto-clicks.' check the box of the folders that contain the bookmarks that you do NOT want to autocomplete in the drop-down box as you type. You may have to do some bookmark management and get those web sites into folders.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried that tip above. Auto-Click column only appears for me when I have Bookmarks Bar active, and I can't do anything with it. There aren't any checkboxes. But I stopped upgrading Safari until I get a new OS.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
AFAIK Private Browsing does not stop autocompletion from happening though it does stop the site from appearing in the History list. If you visit a site today with Private Browsing on and bookmark a site it will appear in the autocomplete list the next time you start typing a url that has the same beginning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.