CD not showing in iTunes 10

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.1GHz
Today was the first time I've tried to play, let alone import a CD using iTunes 10, and the CD doesn't even show up in the side bar.
It doesn't even show up in Finder.
The CD I'm trying to import is Iron Maidens new album The Final Frontier.
I've had no problems with importing CDs before, and definitely not with Iron Maidens CDs, and not with any recently released CDs.

Is anyone else having similar problems?
Has anyone else got this album and have you been able to import it?

Reaction score
I just upgraded to iTunes 10 today and I'm now having the same issue as well. My current workaround (an inconvenient one though) is to navigate to File, Add to Library, and then insert the CD into the drive. It will show up as Audio CD in finder and all of the tracks will appear as track 1, track 2, etc. You can then import them into the library and then tediously go though one by one adding artist and album information. Like I said its an inconvenient work around but it does seem to work. Hopefully a patch will be released soon.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.1GHz
That seems to have worked.
It's currently copying, I'll post again once it's done.

The thing is, when I put the CD in the drive while iTunes is open, iTunes flashes between the library and the CD screen, as if it's trying to access the CD, and the CD even appears in the side bar, but again, it only flashes there for a few seconds.

Edit: It seems to have worked alright.
The tracks were imported with the correct settings I use.
It was pretty inconvenient though.

Reaction score
iTunes 10

I also had the same problem. Go to preferences and under the General Tab uncheck "Automatically retrieve CD track names from internet". This enables the CD to be seen and imported. But you still have to manually retrieve artist and track info. Real pain.

Reaction score
CDs not seen by iTunes 10 - AppleCare

AppleCare desk confirmed the problem is real and not yet fixed.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So far only was able to get it to happen once with one Led Zepplin CD. Import Window popped up and then disappeared. I ejected the CD and put it back and that time the Import Window stayed open.

Just a note, the time it happened and the Import Window went away I was playing music in iTunes. Not sure if that is connected, but the other times I was not playing anything.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook 2.1GHz
I wasn't playing any music at the time.
It was really strange the way iTunes reacted though.
Like I said, the whole of iTunes flashed/switched between the actual library and the disc screen several times, and at the same time the CD appeared and disappeared in time with the flashes.

I've managed to import another CD today fine.

At least Apple are aware, even if there isn't a a fix right now.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Since I posted the above I did some more tests. It's for sure not the Music playing. Not at all. Just was a coincidence.

So far just that one time but another CD I was importing the screen came, went and came back then it was fine.

I am sure Apple will fix the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.