Problem Burning DVD with 10.4

D

dziner

Tonight I was going to backup my photos to DVD using iView MediaPro. I inserted a blank DVD and it mounted on my desktop. But when I went to backup to the blank media, it wasn't available in my list of options.

Then I tried to just copy a folder of photos to the DVD and it made an alias of the file on the DVD, it didn't copy the files to the disc. I can't think of what is going on. I've burned data to DVDs when I had 10.3. I'm not sure if I've burned a DVD with 10.4.

Using a 1.6GHz G5 - OS X 10.4.1.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
you can do several things.

1. create "burn folder", copy your photos and then burn in finder.
or
2. create disc image from pictures folder with disk utility and burn
and the last and simplest
3. burn it through iPhoto

OP
D

dziner

1. Tried the "Burn Folder" but I'm using iView MediaPro for managing my photos and it needs to see blank media inserted, which it does not.

2. Same thing. I need the app to see the blank media.

3. See previous steps, I don't use iPhoto because it can't handle a lot of RAW files.

But can anyone explain why dragging a file from the finder to a blank DVD creates an alias of the file on the DVD? Maybe my media is corrupt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well because it can't actually copy it there until you burn it, so it makes an 'alias', so that when Finder actually burns the DVD it knows where to look for the actual files.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.