• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Urgent help needed - Mac newbie going insane! Need iMovie for my old G4?!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am sorry to ask a question that had probably already been asked but I am going insane trying to work this out and I keep reading different things and am totally confused.

I have an old G4 PowerPC G4 1.33 GHz, 768MB running OS X Version 10.5.8.
All I want to do to is get the video off my camcorder and convert it into a format which I can then move onto a windows PC and do some editing in windows movie maker - can anyone help please?!

I have about 15 mins of video on a mini DV tape from a Canon MV800i camcorder.

Please help me, I have a deadline of TOMORROW! :(

Thanks,
Meg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
It looks like Apple pulled it when iMovie 9 came out.
I'm not sure of the source, but here's a link to iMovie 7, which does work, I tried it.

Free Apple iMovie HD Download

OP
W
Reaction score
thanks! what about just a video capture/transfer program - all i need to do now is to get the viedo off my camcorder, can't even manage this seemingly simple step?!

OP
W
Reaction score
Hi all,
Am trying to get my old canon MV800i camcorder (miniDV tape) to connect to my equally old mac PPC G4 and not having much luck.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please?

Thanks,
Meg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gonna be out of luck then I think. As for the import, if the cam has a firewire out it will do it automatically normally, but you need iLife then. Not going to be possible by tomorrow unless you live a couple of miles from me!

C

chas_m

To import video into a PPC-era Mac, you need one of the following:

a. A camcorder with Firewire OR
b. An external analog-to-digital converter (DAC) like the EyeTV products

PS. You must not like this footage much if you're planning to butcher it in Win Movie Maker. Use iMovie 6HD or iMovie 7 if you can obtain a legal copy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.