Ram Upgrade for Macbook5.1 ???

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a PC musician looking to upgrade my rig but can't afford my iMac just yet. Will be purchasing Logic Studio and East-West Quantum Leap Pianos to install in my Macbook, hence i will be needing to upgrade RAM 2-Gigs and an external USB hard-drive 1TB. Question is is it possible to upgrade the Macbook 5.1 with additional memory?

Macbook 5.1 OS-X Leopard 10.5.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum. A RAM upgrade doesn't have anything to do with Music, Audio and Podcasting.

A little light reading about upgrading the RAM, incl'g a video, links to Apple on how to do it and links to sites where you can obtain the appropriate RAM - link.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Apologies for the incorrect forum, thanks bob the link was helpful. I assume i would need to go to a Mac store to purchase and upgrade the 2x1-Gig modules in place of 2x2-Gig modules to reach 4-Gigs ? When upgrading do the module specs need to be the same, DDR-3 SDRAM ?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Apologies for the incorrect forum, thanks bob the link was helpful. I assume i would need to go to a Mac store to purchase and upgrade the 2x1-Gig modules in place of 2x2-Gig modules to reach 4-Gigs ? When upgrading do the module specs need to be the same, DDR-3 SDRAM ?

No you do not. You find the RAM that you need from a third party retailer, IE. NewEgg, Amazon, etc.

In this case I would try out OWC aka MacSales. It doesn't have to be an online retailer it could be local, however you usually find better deals online.

Just look up RAM and pick your model and it will tell you what you need. From there you can buy from them or find something similar else where.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Went to my local Mac store and priced up some modules.. was offered 4-Gigs of Kingston DDR3-SDRAM for €90, is that a fair price?

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Went to my local Mac store and priced up some modules.. was offered 4-Gigs of Kingston DDR3-SDRAM for €90, is that a fair price?

Don't want to sound mean but, research the price online.

OP
musicmad
Reaction score
Did what you said and found Kingston 2-Gigs of DDR3 online at $48.55. x2 for 4Gigs = $97.5. Did the conversion in to euro = €75. I've been ripped €15. well thats business..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.