Strange situation with MBP 13" mid-2009.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Okay this is going to sound weird...
A spider landed on my MBP near the vents, and I tried to blow on it to get it out of the way and accidentally blew it into one of the vents. Now it got stuck in there and all of a sudden I can hear a strange noise coming from my fan! It was quite loud before but now it has quieted down a little, my guess is that the fan has picked apart the spider but there are still bits aggravating the fan.

What would bet he best way to clean it out of the vent? I was thinking of spraying some compressed air into the vent. A disassembly would be a last resort for me, but because of the design of the MBP it's difficult to get there!

Any help/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

- Omar.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way to clean the fan itself is to disassemble your machine. You can try spraying compressed air thru the vents but that won't clear the fan. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the take apart instructions for changing out a fan on your model MBP.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 5,5
Okay so i've successfully took apart my MBP and removed the spider guts from my fan. However my fan seems to idle at a much higher RPM. Usually it's around the 1996 mark now its at about 2400. Any ideas why this could be happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Make sure the thermal sensor on the Logic board is still attached. (No wires have come loose.) The other reason may be that the fan was damaged when the spider got tangled up in it. Replacing the fan is fairly easy - as you can see since you have it apart. But then again, an upward increase of RPM from the normal 1900 or so to 2400 is not anything to get worried about unless the speed keeps increasing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.