Back-up Solution and Partitioning Help

Reaction score
Alright so I just received my 1tb iomega eGo desktop hard drive from apple, and before opening it my question is how many partitions should I make and what size should they be for Time Machine/Carbon Copy Cloner/General Usage?

By the way, my internal hard drive is 250gb and has about 40gb used up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Danny,

You are already looking at solutions, without having defined the problem.
What issue are you looking at solving ?

I think I know, but guessing is never a good thing ... so let's hear what your issue is and I am sure you will receive some good suggestions.

To provide an interim answer, you can define up to 16 partitions on your disk.

Cheers ... Marc

OP
D
Reaction score
Danny,

You are already looking at solutions, without having defined the problem.
What issue are you looking at solving ?

I think I know, but guessing is never a good thing ... so let's hear what your issue is and I am sure you will receive some good suggestions.

To provide an interim answer, you can define up to 16 partitions on your disk.

Cheers ... Marc

The issues that I'm having are as follows:

1.) I'm not sure what format to set for each partition i.e. (Journaled, Case-Sensitive Journaled, Free Space, etc.)

2.) I'm also not sure whether to make 2 or 3 partitions and if there is really a point in adding that third one for general use (Keeping in mind that I don't have that much music or media on my internal hard drive so far, and I might need to use that extra space as a scratch disk for photoshop and imovie in the future)

3.) I don't know how much space to allocate for cloning, time machine backups, and if I decide to add a third one what size it should be

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
#1 All My HDs are Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
#2 Your choice, I would have it like so Main Backup, Photos, Movies,
#3 You will need at least as much as your computers HD for a clone, for TimeMachine bigger is always better double the internal HD space should be right.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.