Hardware & software

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
This may be an awkwardly worded question, but here we go....

Currently I am running a G4 desktop running 10.2.8. I visited with a vendor about buying some RAM and upgrading my OS so I could run more current browser versions.

I run MS Office, Adobe Photoshop & InDesign, and Filemaker Pro as my main applications. I am unemployed right now, so am trying to be careful with my money. I do use the computer in a small business that is now even more important to me in this time of unemployment.

I consider upgrading this G4, but then see it is possible to get some pretty capable G5 machines for little money. So I wonder if I should just do that.

The question..... If I got a G5, could it run my software found now on my G4, and could this G5 also support software that would run on an Intel, for when I bought an Intel later? It is my understanding that some software discs will have versions for PowerPC and Intel.

I am trying to be able to step from one machine to the next in succession and not waste any software money. I have the wish to buy Acrobat and use it too, but don't want to buy it if I can't later run it on an Intel machine.

Did I make adequate sense here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Yes, your (potential) G5 would certainly run the software you have on your present G4.

Software that will run on both PPC and Intel is classified as Universal. An example is Graphic Converter Apple photo software - Mac picture editor, photo editor, image editor, graphics conversion. Universal is becoming increasingly rare, as developers chase the market, which nowadays is predominantly Intel.

A total change to Intel may require you to abandon some of your present software.

Reaction score
The thing is if you buy a G5 you need the install disc for a newer OS or your still at 10.2. The cost on the G5 will be more with the OS installed and with disc. Unless you run across a super deal.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 Ghz Mirrored drive door G4
The thing is if you buy a G5 you need the install disc for a newer OS or your still at 10.2. The cost on the G5 will be more with the OS installed and with disc. Unless you run across a super deal.

The G5's I see for sale are with OS installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.