Starting over from 'scratch'

Reaction score
Hi

Over the last year that I've owned my new Mac (I will never go back to Win / Linux again), I have learned a lot except one thing, how to get my system back to a clean install.

The reason I ask is specifically based around my use of Ruby and Rails. (And all the 'gems' / extensions they need).

I'm having issues with rails being completely broken and after months of tying everything on their forums I believe it's just been a case of evolution of the system and its' modules /gems.

So I'd like to get my system back to the original install of Snow Leopard.

I would LIKE to preserve the applications I've installed but nothing else, if that's not feasible I don't care I'll reinstall my apps and chalk this all up to the learning curve.

So, how do I do this.. wipe my system and get it back to it's initial install (I have no backup disks just Snow Leopard system disk).

In Windows speak I'm looking (to in effect) reformat and reinstall the OS. (Without losing my apps, not possible with Windows but I beleive doable w/ OS/X)

Thanks for any hints in advance.

-
John

A TRUE mac convert/fanboy. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Insert your Snow Leopard install disc and reboot. Hold the C button to boot from the DVD. From there you can run Disk Utility to wipe your hard drive clean. Then just reinstall the operating system. Easy as Apple pie.

If you can, back up your apps and files with Time Machine. After the installation is complete, you cab use the TM backup to restore everything.

Good luck!

OP
J
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you!

I've been meaning to get myself a backup disk for Time Machine so this will be my excuse. ;)

Thanks for the help.

Reaction score
any external drive will work, if you don't want to invest a chunk for tm... just remember it wipes it clean and formats it for MAC use...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Excellent, thank you!

I've been meaning to get myself a backup disk for Time Machine so this will be my excuse. ;)

I know it's implicit, but I just have to say it: Time Machine is excellent--by far the easiest backup solution I've used. Just another reason why this clean install process is so easy, and ergo, why to go Apple ;D

Hope all goes well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
any external drive will work, if you don't want to invest a chunk for tm...

You must be thinking of a Time Capsule. Time Machine is the software on OS X that automatically backs up your hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.