• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OMG, when did ebay start taking part of my final selling price?

Reaction score
Ok, so I haven't sold anything on ebay for about two years. When I was rummaging through my house, my found all my old cool things that I decided to sell on ebay. I sold it on ebay, made a couple of 100s and I was happy.

Today, I received a invoice for ebay. Even though the invoice isn't a large amount, it's an annoying amount...close to 10%. Selling is a lot more than I remember couple of years ago.

When did they change things? I liked the old way better where I had to pay a listing fee, that's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Over a year ago now. No listing fees, but 10% of the final sale price is right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I prefer them taking a commission on the final sale price because with listing fees I get charged even if my item doesn't sell. This means that I'm less willing to take chances in trying to sell something I don't think will sell. Their listing fees are also higher the higher you price list your item but there is no guarantee it will sell so I would lose that money.

For example there have been several items that I have sold which I didn't think would sell. There have also been items that I had to relist a few times in order for them to sell so getting charged a high listing fee is a rip off to me because they are making money off of me without my item even selling.

It's been awhile since I've sold anything on eBay but they were charging a percentage of final sell price when I last sold something. I always found the best time to sell was when eBay gave me the free listing offers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I have to agree with the above. Cause with the final sale fee ebay has to try to get people sales for them to get their fee. And 10% is not too bad I guess. it's the same as the GST in Australia.

But you know people will just jack up their prices 10% to cover the final sale fee. So in essence the buyer will be indirectly paying this 10% fee. And directly paying for the postage. So the buyer will feel this 10% a lot I think. It's a fair fee I think. But buyer beware I think.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok, so I haven't sold anything on ebay for about two years. When I was rummaging through my house, my found all my old cool things that I decided to sell on ebay. I sold it on ebay, made a couple of 100s and I was happy.

Today, I received a invoice for ebay. Even though the invoice isn't a large amount, it's an annoying amount...close to 10%. Selling is a lot more than I remember couple of years ago.

When did they change things? I liked the old way better where I had to pay a listing fee, that's it.

Here's an article that explains e-Bay's latest fees/fee changes.

eBay Announces Fee Changes, Will Eliminate Store Format

Looks like the new "fee structure" started around March 30th, 2010. Those final value fees of 9% (max final value fee of $50)...seems pretty steep!!!

Thus for an item sells for $250...you pay a final value fee of $22.50! That's on top of other fees such as the listing fees, reserve auction fees, Buy It Now fees, etc. Then add in the Paypal fees. Jeez...with all of these fees...it makes Craig's List look better & better!!!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Actually Nick no listing fees for items starting at $1.00 and the rate seems pretty competitive. Here Down Under most major auction sites charge a flat 12% commission.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Craigslist is all I use now. It'd rather man up face to face for a cash deal anyhow. Less drama and cheaper.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually Nick no listing fees for items starting at $1.00 and the rate seems pretty competitive.

I agree Harry...no listing fees for items starting under $1.00. The fee that has peopled "bugged" a bit is the "final value fee". So if an item starts at say $.50 cents...but sells for $100...if I understand it correctly, you still have to pay a 9% final value fee of $9.00.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well you always have that option. Called 'free trade'!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I should have sold my stuff on Craigslist.

Not necessarily. Depending on what you were selling...the items might have been easy or hard items to sell quickly. The down-side to Craig's List is you're advertising to a much smaller audience. With e-Bay you're advertising to the whole country...or world if you're willing to ship internationally.

So if you list items on CL...they may not sell. But listed on e-Bay the items may sell much more quickly. So fewer $$$ in your pocket from an e-Bay auction (due to the newer fees)...is still a lot better than no $$$ at all if an item doesn't sell on CL.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Depending on what you were selling...the items might have been easy or hard items to sell quickly. The down-side to Craig's List is you're advertising to a much smaller audience. With e-Bay you're advertising to the whole country...or world if you're willing to ship internationally.

So if you list items on CL...they may not sell. But listed on e-Bay the items may sell much more quickly. So fewer $$$ in your pocket from an e-Bay auction (due to the newer fees)...is still a lot better than no $$$ at all if an item doesn't sell on CL.

- Nick

That's true. I'm just a little irrate at the final listing fee (it's new to me!!!!) I guess putting my old but very awesome junk would never have sold on craigslist.

I think I'm even more irritated because I put my old cameras for sale and now, I think I might have gotten the same trade in value if I went to a camera shop; I might get even less because of those fees.

Good thing I didn't put my Apple Gift Cards on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Craigslist is all I use now. It'd rather man up face to face for a cash deal anyhow. Less drama and cheaper.

Me too, Have not sold anything on Ebay since 2008, These days everyone is using Craigslist anyway. Feebay & Paypal are fine to use until you have a problem, Generally that's where things go south.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
We don't have Craiglist here, so apart form 2 free papers and Gumtree - which is similar to Craiglist I guess - Ebay is still the best way.
I agree about the final fee being better too, it does avoid you paying if you don't sell the item (all bar any extras that you use to help sell, like borders).
March 2010! Definitely much longer ago than that here in the UK, checking back on my account it started April 2009 here. I guess they rolled it out gradually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
But you know people will just jack up their prices 10% to cover the final sale fee. So in essence the buyer will be indirectly paying this 10% fee.

Yep im with ya one this one. Is what i do so i try to diminish as many fee's as possible

Craigslist is all I use now

We don't have Craiglist here

Either do we in essence. There IS Craigslist here in Australia, but ive scoured it quite a bit as i always see the people in the US, talking about it and what sort of good bargains they get on it, but i never see anything listed. A few items dont get me wrong but not enough to be ALWAYS looking at it .
Ebay is still our best option, but as with Kev we have a AllClassifies here where i do most of my seling and buying now ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
There have always been final selling fees, way back to when I first starting selling almost 6 years ago. Recently, they've been switching around fees..ie..taking some fees from here and adding some there. I think it's rather lame for them to charge so much now, especially since they have more buyers and sellers than ever before!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
There have always been final selling fees, way back to when I first starting selling almost 6 years ago. Recently, they've been switching around fees..ie..taking some fees from here and adding some there. I think it's rather lame for them to charge so much now, especially since they have more buyers and sellers than ever before!

Ebay has done nothing but screw it's sellers over for the past few years. Ever since Meg Whitman left and John Donahoe took over. Ebay has taken a different direction and your exactly right Waay more buyers than sellers I fault ebay for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
We will probably be looking for something else soon, because eBay has already purchased a 25% interest in CL, and they are looking for more. I tend to use both. For example, I posted a MBP on here last week for $900 shipped, and on CL for $875. At the same time, I posted it on eBay for $975 + $15 shipping. It sold on eBay. The final value fee was $50.25, and Paypal fees were $29.01. So I am sitting on $910.64 right now, and still have to pay to ship from OH to CA. It is most likely going to be within a few dollars of what I would have sold it on here for. But the loser is the buyer, for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the loser is the buyer, for sure.

Or if the buyer is not honest (And this happens all the time) They decide to file a paypal claim for whatever B.S. reason, Next thing you know your PP account is frozen,The buyer gets their money back and in a lot of cases gets to keep your Macbook. This is just an example I'm not implying this to you. It's happened to me and countless other people. All a buyer has to do is say the box arrived empty or had a brick inside, Ebay/PP isn't going to investigate it, They are simply going to refund the money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.