• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

OMG, when did ebay start taking part of my final selling price?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Or if the buyer is not honest (And this happens all the time) They decide to file a paypal claim for whatever B.S. reason, Next thing you know your PP account is frozen,The buyer gets their money back and in a lot of cases gets to keep your Macbook.

Has happened to me too many times as well. I don't sell very many items on e-Bay...so when it does happen it really hurts.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I am sure it happens. The method I use for protecting myself on high dollar items like this, is to take it to a FedEx office store and let them package, insure and ship it. You then have another insurance policy against claims like these. I also quote a 4 day handling time to buyers on eBay. This allows you time to transfer the money out of your Paypal account. I never leave more than a couple hundred dollars in my Paypal account at any given time, so that is all that they can freeze on me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also quote a 4 day handling time to buyers on eBay. This allows you time to transfer the money out of your Paypal account. I never leave more than a couple hundred dollars in my Paypal account at any given time, so that is all that they can freeze on me.

I hate to say it...but this doesn't work. If for some reason a buyer opens a dispute, and Paypal rules in their favor (fair decision or not)...and Paypal says you owe the buyer a refund...even if you have a zero balance in your Paypal account...Paypal still goes after you.

You have to have a bank account or credit card on file to open a Paypal account...and that's where Paypal will go to eventually get the money. First Paypal will "freeze" your account...then they will warn you if you don't pay what you owe, they will start to charge you late fees or penalties of some sort (so the actual amount you owe can turn into a much greater amount with the penalties)...and then eventually Paypal will file a claim with your credit card company or bank account.

There really is no way to avoid this period. Even if you close your Paypal account...Paypal will still go to your bank or credit card to get the money.

Many times Paypal decisions are unfair. They don't really investigate these claims fully enough...basically because they cannot send an investigator to physically visit a buyer to confirm what the problem is. So it seems (in many cases), when a buyer files a claim...the seller loses.

Call it a "been there...done that" sort of thing.

The only true way to avoid this problem is not to sell on e-Bay...which really sucks.:(

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only true way to avoid this problem is not to sell on e-Bay...which really sucks.

I agree Nick. I gave up on eBay long ago for the very reasons you mentioned. And nowadays, I pretty much recommend to others to avoid eBay unless absolutely necessary. Craig's list and the good old Green Sheet advertisements are a lot safer and easier to deal with.

Actually, I like garage sales a lot better! ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree Nick. I gave up on eBay long ago for the very reasons you mentioned. And nowadays, I pretty much recommend to others to avoid eBay unless absolutely necessary. Craig's list and the good old Green Sheet advertisements are a lot safer and easier to deal with.

Actually, I like garage sales a lot better! ;D

It's really terrible what has become of e-Bay. I've been an e-Bay member for 10 years now...and things have changed quite a bit. Between the fees that always seem to take a bigger & bigger chunk from a sellers profits...and e-Bay's desire to improve the "protection" of transactions between sellers & buyers (which seems to translate to disputes that punish a seller more then buyers)...e-Bay is really starting to be seller unfriendly.

I've only been the seller in about 10% of my total transactions on e-Bay in 10 years...and I would say with 50% of those transactions I've had problems. I think e-Bay may still be ok for buyers (which I still do)...just have to be careful with shipping fees.

Yes I agree...Craig's List is a better alternative...and garage sales as well!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 4GB, 1TB HDD, quad-core
I really want to stab eBay :Mischievous:

I'm sick to death of how greedy they are. Surely eBay and PayPal have to be a conflict of interest?

You can't be the store and the bank... :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
OP
T
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Or if the buyer is not honest (And this happens all the time) They decide to file a paypal claim for whatever B.S. reason, Next thing you know your PP account is frozen,The buyer gets their money back and in a lot of cases gets to keep your Macbook.
Has happened to me too many times as well. I don't sell very many items on e-Bay...so when it does happen it really hurts.

What!?!? This actually happens?

Now you have me worried about my items...granted, my items will more than likely not sell for more than 200 dollars but still....

Reaction score
I'm also done with EBAY - they are horrible. Paypal just as bad...have to fight to get your money.

You can write the most honest description and still get the most bizzarre people buying your stuff and complaining...or bidding, winning, finding another deal and telling you "hey Im not paying, relist it"....and EBAY does not care.

Good Riddance to them, Im strictly Craigs list now or just toss out the smaller stuff - not worth the hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I just found out my local Australian city (Brisbane) has a Craigslist page. Hmm I'm going to have to check it out and see how it works. The page looks as ugly as feck. But it it's not feebay then it'll get my business.

I even see personal ads on Craigslist. Haha, so you can sell yourself now on Craigslist?

OP
T
Reaction score
I just found out my local Australian city (Brisbane) has a Craigslist page. Hmm I'm going to have to check it out and see how it works. The page looks as ugly as feck. But it it's not feebay then it'll get my business.

I even see personal ads on Craigslist. Haha, so you can sell yourself now on Craigslist?

Haha, yes you can....well, you use to be able to. Just recently, they shut down their adult services section because of outside pressure. The Pros and Cons of Craigslist?s Shutdown of the Adult Services Section - PCWorld

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WTH

I am selling something for 2,550 on eBay, I went to edit my listing and at the bottom is said if this item sells you will have a selling fee of $51!

I thought it was a max of $50?

I hate eBay so much these days.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am selling something for 2,550 on eBay, I went to edit my listing and at the bottom is said if this item sells you will have a selling fee of $51!

I thought it was a max of $50?

The $50 dollar max is for the "final value fee". Also consider this is $50 US dollars (mentioned in this thread). I see you're from Australia...so if you convert $50 US dollars to Australian dollars...that works out to be $53.97 in Australian dollars. Best to check the "fee explanations" for e-Bay Australia to see what the actual maximum final value fee is for you.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I will say this as lightly, and politely as I can, without insulting anyone. If you are there only to make a quick buck, and don't care to learn about how to help yourself(setting restrictions, learning what can help you in certain situations), don't blame ebay, blame yourself! Want to prevent stupid people from backing out? Block people with low reps, or kick them out of your bidding if you don't like them. I'm kind of getting tired of people saying this and that about ebay, and then turning around to sell it on CG...a place that has almost NO rules, and has more scams running through it than ebay!
People always expect to be spoon fed everything, and then complain when they didn't get something they expected! You can prevent almost EVERY problem on ebay! You can guarantee yourself from getting scammed with paypal. It's really simple! Really! It's just that people believe they know what they are doing just because they know how to list something on there.

For people who worry about someone taking your item as well as getting back their money, all that is prevented with a simple thing called delivery confirmation, tracking, or signature upon delivery. All of which paypal will automatically grant you the winner in what ever case is open, or at least your item back with all ebay/paypal fees, because return policy states that the buyer who opens the case has to return the item(exactly as originally received), and pay for shipping on their own. Blame yourself for skimping on a 2 dollar security if you get scammed by such a stupid thing! Also, if a buyer asks you to use the cheapest shipping possible, with no tracking necessary, to lower the cost of the total price, tell them to jump off a bridge!

Been a long time ebay user, and actually know how to use it. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I also don't plan on stopping there either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will say this as lightly, and politely as I can, without insulting anyone. If you are there only to make a quick buck, and don't care to learn about how to help yourself(setting restrictions, learning what can help you in certain situations), don't blame ebay, blame yourself! Want to prevent stupid people from backing out? Block people with low reps, or kick them out of your bidding if you don't like them. I'm kind of getting tired of people saying this and that about ebay, and then turning around to sell it on CG...a place that has almost NO rules, and has more scams running through it than ebay!
People always expect to be spoon fed everything, and then complain when they didn't get something they expected! You can prevent almost EVERY problem on ebay! You can guarantee yourself from getting scammed with paypal. It's really simple! Really! It's just that people believe they know what they are doing just because they know how to list something on there.

For people who worry about someone taking your item as well as getting back their money, all that is prevented with a simple thing called delivery confirmation, tracking, or signature upon delivery. All of which paypal will automatically grant you the winner in what ever case is open, or at least your item back with all ebay/paypal fees, because return policy states that the buyer who opens the case has to return the item(exactly as originally received), and pay for shipping on their own. Blame yourself for skimping on a 2 dollar security if you get scammed by such a stupid thing! Also, if a buyer asks you to use the cheapest shipping possible, with no tracking necessary, to lower the cost of the total price, tell them to jump off a bridge!

Been a long time ebay user, and actually know how to use it. I don't plan on stopping any time soon. I also don't plan on stopping there either.

You haven't had your PayPal account frozen have you? Demanding you send out the item asap when you already have.

When something goes wrong you will see. Customer service is horrible too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Friend normally I agree with most of what you say, In this instance I gotta disagree, Ebay/Paypal are great until their is a problem. As the other poster stated Customer service is terrible especially when it's comes to Claims or problems.

Here is a prime example last week I got my hands on 8 brand new sealed iPhone 4 bumpers for free. I used my brothers ebay account listed them all gave the usual detailed descriptions..etc..etc out of those 8 listed,Guess how many paid? 3 people,What can I do about it, according to ebay I can't leave negative feedback anymore (sellers are only allowed to leave positive feedback which makes no sense at all) My other option is to wait 4 or 5 days before I can even begin the unpaid item claim process to get my final value fees back. I get all this headache and aggravation, The buyers who didn't pay are long. As an ex-long time ebay user that's just one of many bad experiences. I just ended up selling the other 5 on CL for cash.

You haven't had your PayPal account frozen have you? Demanding you send out the item asap when you already have.

When something goes wrong you will see. Customer service is horrible too!

Agreed customer service with ebay/Paypal is the worst.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
3 people,What can I do about it, according to ebay I can't leave negative feedback anymore (sellers are only allowed to leave positive feedback which makes no sense at all) My other option is to wait 4 or 5 days before I can even begin the unpaid item claim process to get my final value fees back. I get all this headache and aggravation, The buyers who didn't pay are long. As an ex-long time ebay user that's just one of many bad experiences. I just ended up selling the other 5 on CL for cash.

The person who wins an auction, and does not pay, does not just get to walk away! I don't get where people got this idea from. Ebay sets buyer claims for each of their accounts, eventually, you will get your account blocked/erased. In the end, you get all your fees back...no matter what! If not, you did something wrong. Like I said, if you know what your doing, everything is there to help you with what you need. Don't blame ebay for thieves that roam this world!

Don't forget! It was the EBAY USERS who wanted change be added to sellers due to them blackmailing buyers into not filing a claim or using negative feedback or else they would tarnish the buyers own account with negative feedback. The ebay users chose it! You pretty much exchange one thing for another.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We will probably be looking for something else soon, because eBay has already purchased a 25% interest in CL, and they are looking for more.

I wanted to add a thought to this quote from "brairden" above:

Not so long ago when someone posted something for sale on Craig's List...you had to post each individual item for sale one at a time, and you had to retain the e-mails you got from CL to:

- "officially" post your for sale item
- if you wanted to edit your post after it was posted
- or if you wanted to delete your posting if the item was sold (or no longer for sale)

I'm not 100% sure when it started...but now you can "sign up" for an official Craig's List account...which is supposed to help with managing your for sale items (faster posting, easier editing, easier deleting of sold items, etc.).

After doing some weekend cleaning...I found a couple items I wanted to sell (no computer stuff);)...and logged into my CL account. I noticed on my CL account page where it lists all of your items (an Excel/spreadsheet looking like document)...there are different column headings such as:

- Title
- Listing Category
- Date
- etc.

There is also an unused column at the moment with the heading "fees"...huh...what!!!;) Yes...it definitely looks like Craig's List has something planned where they're going to start charging fees of some sort!:(

I'm not sure if this has something to do with e-Bay buying 25% of CL...or if it was something CL was planning on doing for a while now. With the 25% purchase of CL, and the column in your CL account for "fees"...this would logically also seem to indicate that Paypal (and all the fees associated with Paypal)...could soon be part of the Craig's List selling process as well.:(

- Nick

p.s. Currently you don't have to sign up for a CL account to sell things...you can still do it the way many folks may have been doing it for years.:) The account is just supposed to make things easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The person who wins an auction, and does not pay, does not just get to walk away! I don't get where people got this idea from. Ebay sets buyer claims for each of their accounts, eventually, you will get your account blocked/erased. In the end, you get all your fees back...no matter what! If not, you did something wrong. Like I said, if you know what your doing, everything is there to help you with what you need. Don't blame ebay for thieves that roam this world!

Don't forget! It was the EBAY USERS who wanted change be added to sellers due to them blackmailing buyers into not filing a claim or using negative feedback or else they would tarnish the buyers own account with negative feedback. The ebay users chose it! You pretty much exchange one thing for another.

Come on buyers don't even get a slap on wrist for non-payment. Yes you do get the final value fee back,But Ebay still charges the seller the listing fee, Plus you as a seller can't even file a complaint for almost a week until after the auction ended. I don't blame Ebay I just don't use them that much anymore, Like I said most others have said Ebay/Paypal are great until you have a problem.

I wanted to add a thought to this quote from "brairden" above:

Not so long ago when someone posted something for sale on Craig's List...you had to post each individual item for sale one at a time, and you had to retain the e-mails you got from CL to:

- "officially" post your for sale item
- if you wanted to edit your post after it was posted
- or if you wanted to delete your posting if the item was sold (or no longer for sale)

I'm not 100% sure when it started...but now you can "sign up" for an official Craig's List account...which is supposed to help with managing your for sale items (faster posting, easier editing, easier deleting of sold items, etc.).

After doing some weekend cleaning...I found a couple items I wanted to sell (no computer stuff);)...and logged into my CL account. I noticed on my CL account page where it lists all of your items (an Excel/spreadsheet looking like document)...there are different column headings such as:

- Title
- Listing Category
- Date
- etc.

There is also an unused column at the moment with the heading "fees"...huh...what!!!;) Yes...it definitely looks like Craig's List has something planned where they're going to start charging fees of some sort!:(

I'm not sure if this has something to do with e-Bay buying 25% of CL...or if it was something CL was planning on doing for a while now. With the 25% purchase of CL, and the column in your CL account for "fees"...this would logically also seem to indicate that Paypal (and all the fees associated with Paypal)...could soon be part of the Craig's List selling process as well.:(

- Nick

p.s. Currently you don't have to sign up for a CL account to sell things...you can still do it the way many folks may have been doing it for years.:) The account is just supposed to make things easier.

I do have a craigslist which is great makes it very easy organize my listings, I have never seen anything about fees, I do know in certain parts of the U.S. Craigslist charges for certain things mainly employment postings. As far as paypal goes I don't see how it could work on CL, Everyone knows as a rule No shipping on craigslist. Cash face to face.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.