Macbook Glitching

Reaction score
Ok i hope this is the correct section and would REALLY appreciate any help, diagnosis or solutions to my problem.

I have a white 13" macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM and a 320GB 7200rpm HD. Running 10.6.4 at the moment. I have my macbook connected to a 42" LG plasma.

Some details from system profiler:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB31.008E.B02
SMC Version (system): 1.24f2

Ok, the problem:

Recently my macbook has slowed down, which i can deal with as it is getting fairly old, think i got it about 3 years ago (maybe someone could confirm this from the system profiler information i linked). The main problem is the last month or so ive been seeing weird graphical glitches where like patches of windows will over lap, shapes appear and lots of other unusual things. Along with this in the last month ive had a few (about 2/3) kernel panics (i think they're called) where my macbook freezes and it tells me i need to force it to shut down. I'm not sure whats causing all this, my guess is overheating so i raised it up on some block things to allow more air flow but i don't know whats causing it :/ i hope my mabcook isn't dying :'( here are some pictures i took both within the Grab application and on my phone as they showed different things which was very odd.

Oh and i'll add its been happening about once a day now, i can get rid of it by closing the application which is usually Safari where it is effected but some times it is on the desktop with no applications open apart from finder, but a restart will remove the weird shapes.

Picture off my phone of the screen:
ni9.jpg

In this picture you can see i have Safari closed but the images from Safari have overlapped and sort of pasted itself on the desktop lol :s

2la3m7n.jpg

Here shows it within Safari, i think this happened just after i scrolled down the page :|

2m3g10w.jpg

Again here shows the glitch within Safari.

Pictures from the Grab application of the whole screen:
Ok something odd happened, i prepared a picture within Grab as when i took it, it came up with LOADS of weird patches (which wasn't actually on the screen) but then when i went to upload it i checked the file and it saved it as just a black picture with no detail - very odd.

So anyway heres one picture i took after within Grab which shows the glitch better:
zko2te.jpg

Ok so i think i have covered anything, but yeah if anyone could tell me whats causing it, a solution, has anyone had it happen to them? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1st thing 1st, for us to view the pictures properly i suggest a edit and drop them down to forum rules size of no bigger than 800x600 :)

Cheers
Now ill read the post and try and figure the pics out

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It looks like you have a GPU problem. Actually I wish you had provided photos of not the large LG but your internal monitor only. Anyway, when one of those strange glitches occurs again, take a screen shot of it. If the same weird graphic glitch shows up on the screen shot, we can assume that it's graphic related.

Since your MacBook uses an Intel GMA integrated chipset, that would mean a logic board swap. The chipset is soldered (surface mounted) to the logic board.

OP
M
Reaction score
i did take screen shots but it came up with a picture of LOADS of weird shapes (which wasnt the same as what was on the screen) or as i said, one came up just black :s but ok should i start using the macbook without and external display and see the results then? cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmm so your saying its not ALONE related to Safari ??
I would DL ONYX and run the scripts on it 1st. Im stabbing in the dark here as im in the same line of thinking as chscag. But run the scripts log out then back in and see what happens. Worth a try IMO :) ???
Not sure where to go from here.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 500GB hard drive 4GB ram PowerMac G5 Dual 2.2GHz Mirrored 500GB HDD, Mac Mini, and more
Agree with chscag... Many companies have had and will continue have the problmes with the GPU's (untill they wake up and re-work the way they attach them to the logicboards) .. HP is notorious for it as well Apple had its fair share of problmes with the G3 and G4 iBooks ... due to time the MacBooks will start croping up with the similar issue..

It would be very nice to know if it is happening on the internal display ... or did I miss that part?

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the replies and its mainly Safari (might just be Safari tbh) but even if i close Safari the weird shapes and patterns are still there. I've recently found i can unplug the mini dvi to vga cable and plug it back in and all the shapes go. And I have ONYX so should i run the scripts on Safari did you say? or what do i need to do? And yeah so would i like to see whats happening to the internal display, i should start using it to see the result to be honest. I'll try the ONYX thingy now. Cheers again people :)

OP
M
Reaction score
ok so i started up ONYX which btw is an old version, need to update and it said i need to repair the disk or something, so im doing that now in disk utilities (it said do it with the OS X disk in though :s )

Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be lrwxr-xr-x , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Deploy.bundle/Contents/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/deploy.jar".
Permissions differ on "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib", should be -rwxr-xr-x , they are lrwxr-xr-x .
Repaired "System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

It came up with all that after i repaired the disk.

Also i dont know what im doing with this script stuff in ONYX so could anyone help? cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
ok im pretty sure its Safari, ive been using Firefox for few days now and haven't had any problems, might just reinstall Safari maybe, firefox is w*nk lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try just putting the Safari .plist on your desktop and then restart Safari ..... If it still persists you can trash the Desktop .plist as Safari has rebuilt a new one on start up ..

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.