Can I leave the powerbook screen open all day

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ive got a pretty significant download going right now, and it looks like its going to take a few hours to finish. It wont hurt anything to just leave the screen on my powerbook open while it downloads, that way it can stay connected to the internet? I really want to get this finished, but if its not good to leave the screen open then ill just have to let it take forever to download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
PunkRockTuba said:
Ive got a pretty significant download going right now, and it looks like its going to take a few hours to finish. It wont hurt anything to just leave the screen on my powerbook open while it downloads, that way it can stay connected to the internet? I really want to get this finished, but if its not good to leave the screen open then ill just have to let it take forever to download.

It won't hurt it really.

If you like, you can turn off the backlight using the brightness controls (F1-F2.) Just turn it until down all the way. It'll save some energy, and prolong the life of the backlight (which does eventually degrade, but only after years and years of use.)

OP
PunkRockTuba
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Ok thanks, im new to the whole laptop thing and I dont know if its good to just leave it running for a long period of time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea mate thats all i do with mine, screen off and the battery out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it can be done, I leave it every once in a while all day... when i am rendering something, and for somereason decide to do it on my powerbook.

U

untoastytoast

That's what i do all the time, as long as you put the energy settings to "computer sleep - never" and put the screen to sleep, then it will be fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.