What software will run on my iBook?

Reaction score
Hi, I've been using a Mac Mini for publishing a digital magazine and website. Never been comfortable with the set-up of the room and workspace so thought I'd try a laptop in the comfort of living room/garden instead. So.....

Just got an old iBook from fleabay, which so far is fine for all the usual stuff but pulling my hair out trying to get it set-up for DTP & web apps.

It is low spec - iBook 1.07GHz PowerPC G4, 768mb RAM. Mac OS 10.3.9 (Panther I guess).

Every download or software I try to install fails due to specs. Frustratingly couldn't even create account on Apple Forums for some reason -I'm getting nowhere!!!!

My old CS3 software wouldn't install, so guess I'll aim for CS2 - do you think this will work?

Also, which version of Quark would I be able to run?

Basically I need to get Quark, Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver installed. If possible.

Will this iBook model stand an OS updgrade? I guess that would solve a lot of my problems.

Please help as I've gotten nowhere after stressing for hours.

Other questions: Is it possible/easy to upgrade RAM on iBook, and can the battery be replaced?

Muchos Gracias.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Your first problem is Panther, you will need OS 10.4 Tiger to get any modern graphics software on there, CS3 and Quark will then install

Secondly max out the RAM to 1.2 gig, that should be fairly inexpensive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Money better spent rather than upgrading OS, RAM, etc would be a second hand MacBook. Will suit your needs, and in all likelihood, be close to the amount that it would cost you to have the iBook worth using :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.