• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Canon HG10 and file conversion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (retina 5K), 27" 2019
Hi all, I appreciate this topic has been covered in various forms, but I have not quite found an answer. I have read and have converted my Canon's .MTs files (they were filmed using the highest quality setting on the camera) into .MOV files using iMovie. Then I converted the file using Bigsoft which I found on Apple's website. This converted a less than 2 min file into a low res mpeg. The picture quality was rubbish and also not in the widescreen format the film had originally been shot in. Then I converted it into an Mp4 (this took 24 mins) and the file would not play properly, it jumped and stuttered and froze (while the sound continued normally). I then tried to open it in Imovie (the converted MP4) and I was told by the mac it would take about an hr to convert a less than 2 min file. This seems completely wrong and I am confused. All I would like to do is convert the in-camera files (at the highest quality 1080p) to a format that I can burn to DVD permanently and thus remove the original files from the camera's hardrive. I don't want to keep any files on my mac as they are very memory hungry. I would then like to play the DVDs on our TV or copy them and send copies to family, but essentially have hard copies for posterity. I am not a techy with moving film I confess, and am not confident I am doing this right. Do I need some other software and if so what would be best…free if possible?

The Canon HG10 shots widescreen at 1440x1080 (1888x1062). Does anyone know a converter that will convert at this wide format?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.