White MacBook best overall Mac.

Reaction score
Man, I love this very inexpensive Mac. Performance for the everyday Internet and school use can't be beat. I had a MacBook Pro 15 inch and it didn't do anything any better then my new MacBook. This computer is the most capable and underrated Mac on the market. MacBook users unite!!

May God Bless!

EdO:)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The most underrated Mac would probably be the mini actually. People underestimate the power of a MB. The MBP is nice and it does have some features that the newer MBs are lacking such as firewire.

However not everyone needs firewire, and the bells and whistles that come with the pro version. People just need to pay attention to what they need and buy accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Referring to the easy-to-keep-clean alu-chassis and the backlit keyboard as "bells and whistles" is an obvious sign of cognitive dissonance.

And ... Ummmmm why is it obvious ??? I have no problems here with the 2 clashing, and i find Aluminium easier to clean than White ........ I like my "bells and whistles"

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Referring to the easy-to-keep-clean alu-chassis and the backlit keyboard as "bells and whistles" is an obvious sign of cognitive dissonance.

Huh...interesting. This is the first time I have seen the term "bells and whistles" turned into a negative.

I still stand by what I said about not everyone needs firewire. I have the late 2008 model of the MB as well as a few other Macs that I didn't feel as though I could cram them on my user profile. All of which have firewire.

I have yet to ever use Firewire on my MB in the last two years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
And ... Ummmmm why is it obvious ??? I have no problems here with the 2 clashing, and i find Aluminium easier to clean than White ........ I like my "bells and whistles"
It's obvious because my definition of "bells and whistles" is equivalent to "useless features for marketing purposes". Have I missed anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh...interesting. This is the first time I have seen the term "bells and whistles" turned into a negative.

I still stand by what I said about not everyone needs firewire. I have the late 2008 model of the MB as well as a few other Macs that I didn't feel as though I could cram them on my user profile. All of which have firewire.

I have yet to ever use Firewire on my MB in the last two years.

I have never seen "bells and whistles" as something positive, but I concur with your post as far as FireWire goes. Never used it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's obvious because my definition of "bells and whistles" is equivalent to "useless features for marketing purposes". Have I missed anything?

Well then there you go. Yep the Sleek Sexy Alum Unibody has its benefits and dont see it as a marketing ploy, and same goes for the backlit keyboard. This is one of many reasons i upgraded from my White MB to this beautiful 13"MBP. The backlight was a selling point for me, and use it every day... Umm night i mean ... So yea these "Bells n Whistles" are the "bell n whistles" i was looking for.....

Cheers

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
At what point then can we differentiate between "bells and whistles" and useful productive features? It's very possible that something like a backlit keyboard makes someone more productive much like more RAM might for someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At what point then can we differentiate between "bells and whistles" and useful productive features? It's very possible that something like a backlit keyboard makes someone more productive much like more RAM might for someone else.
I totally agree with your statement here. And I know very well that if I had the choice between backlit keyboard and 50-100% extra RAM, I would choose the former over the latter any given day.

Your question is interesting. There is actually a way one can differentiate; quantified by the likelihood that the removal of one specific feature becomes a dealbreaker for that specific device.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There is actually a way one can differentiate; quantified by the likelihood that the removal of one specific feature becomes a dealbreaker for that specific device.
That is a very good way of delineating the difference between "useful" features and what we are calling "bells and whistles". That said, the difference is very subjective (hence why they are in quotation marks). What is useful for you may be irrelevant to others. For instance, I am more concerned with the internals of my machine while others couldn't care less and would be happier with things like backlit keyboards. Because of this, it is largely unfair to claim that something is only there for marketing purposes because for someone else it may serve a need they have. The argument therefore that a feature is simply a marketing ploy is untenable. Someone will no doubt find a feature useful - if they didn't, manufacturers wouldn't build them into their products.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you can not state that others are suffering from a case of cognitive dissonance because you feel a certain way towards particular features. Some people do not define those features as marketing ploys and therefore, there is no dissonance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a very good way of delineating the difference between "useful" features and what we are calling "bells and whistles". That said, the difference is very subjective (hence why they are in quotation marks). What is useful for you may be irrelevant to others. For instance, I am more concerned with the internals of my machine while others couldn't care less and would be happier with things like backlit keyboards. Because of this, it is largely unfair to claim that something is only there for marketing purposes because for someone else it may serve a need they have. The argument therefore that a feature is simply a marketing ploy is untenable. Someone will no doubt find a feature useful - if they didn't, manufacturers wouldn't build them into their products.

What I'm trying to get at here is that you can not state that others are suffering from a case of cognitive dissonance because you feel a certain way towards particular features. Some people do not define those features as marketing ploys and therefore, there is no dissonance.

What he said ^^^^^ ;P

Reaction score
Features on computers are really simple to classify:

They are like the items in a yard sale, disposable to some, but worth money to others.

OP
R
Reaction score
Features on computers are really simple to classify:

They are like the items in a yard sale, disposable to some, but worth money to others.

Good point. I see you are a White MacBook user too. YES!

May God Bless!

Ed:D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Van on both posts. Well said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because of this, it is largely unfair to claim that something is only there for marketing purposes because for someone else it may serve a need they have. The argument therefore that a feature is simply a marketing ploy is untenable. Someone will no doubt find a feature useful - if they didn't, manufacturers wouldn't build them into their products.
Well stated. That was my very point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
I find it easier to turn the light on if I need to see the keyboard and don't have a FireWire device. I agree that the MB was the best deal, at least for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.