MBP 2.2 Pink / Blue horizontal lines, frozen computer HELP

Reaction score
My almost 3 year old MBP shows a full screen of artifacts like horizontal lines with blue and pink boxes. It did it while simply browsing the web. It had a message in the center of the screen that said to push the power button to power off in several languages.

I powered off the computer. Tried to restart it and on the start up screen the Apple appears in the center of the screen with the same pink and blue boxes in it and the spinning symbol below is stuck and the computer will not start up.

Any ideas on what my problem is? I have about 2 months of Apple Care left.

Thanks for any information!

Matt

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're probably having a "kernel panic". Did you install any new ram recently? If so, that could be the problem.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
No new anything. Installed iTunes 10 couple days ago. That is the only thing that is new.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any ideas on what my problem is? I have about 2 months of Apple Care left.

Could be many things but most likely hardware related. Since you have Apple care still in effect, make an appointment with your local genius and take it on in. Let Apple sort it out for you. Hopefully you've been making backups? O:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No new anything. Installed iTunes 10 couple days ago. That is the only thing that is new.

What "chscag" recommends is best (take it to Apple with Applecare remaining).

But if you really want to experiment further (shut down your computer)...pull out all of the ram (assuming you have two sticks of ram installed)...and reinstall just 1 stick of ram. Start up the computer & see if you still have the problem. If you do, shut down the computer. Remove the 1 stick of ram, and install the 2nd ram stick by itself. Startup the computer...and see if you still have the problem.

If this problem persists when one of the ram sticks is installed but not the other ram stick...then one of the sticks of ram is "bad". If the problem persists regardless of which stick of ram is installed...then it's probably not the ram but something else.

But again...if you would rather not do this...just take it to Apple, and use the warranty.:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah, I contacted Apple via the online form for Apple Care and set up a time to call them tomorrow. My closest Apple store is about 4 hours away! So I'll have to deal with this through the phone and mail.

I did have 1 Carbon Copy Clone as well as frequent Time Machine backups. Plus all of my media is backed up on an iPod Classic.

Thanks

Reaction score
pink screen of death

Has anybody figured this one out yet? My macbook Pro is doing this all the time, and this is the only discussion I've found that sounds like the same issue.

I have been suspecting the graphics chipset. It also seems to run hot in the lower right hand side of the case when it has gone all pink and squarey.

I have tried removing the RAM, but it didn't work. Maybe I will try it again.

OP
S
Reaction score
I had apple care. Sent it in and the logic board was fried. Put new Logic board in and all is good now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.