New Mac Owner Having Misc Problems with Pages...

Reaction score
Hi,

As the title states I'm new to the Mac world, and I'm slightly confused with the save options in Pages.

My work is word processor-based, and my clients all use Word, which is no problem thanks to the iWorks compatibility.

The problem I'm having is with saving. With Word you "Save as..." and from then on it's just a case of ctrl+s for the quicksave option.

When I do this on Pages, it brings up the "Save as..." option every time I press ctrl+s. Is there an quick save option that I'm missing? Could it be that I'm converting it to .doc too soon and I should wait until the job is done before I convert?

Also, the Spellcheck is causing me some issues, as I primarily use British English, but for some reason it keeps changing it to US English without my prompting.

I realise that these are probably super-easy problems to solve, but they are causing me some grief... learning curve and all that O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
When you "save" a pages document it saves it as a
Pages document. The only way (I know of) to get a .doc is "save as" (saving a separate copy) or "export".
As for the dictionary try going to system preferences > language & text > input sources.... Then check the British box.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is (in my opinion) a serious shortcoming when using iWork Pages or the other applications from the suite. As Fodge pointed out, the only way to get MS Office compatibility is to use the "save as" function every time you create a new document. Apple for some unknown reason does not allow that particular setting to be locked in as a "default setting".

My recommendation: Buy MS Office 2011 when it's released sometime late October. I'm not sure if it will be available in the UK at the same time. The release date is for the US. iWork costs less, but as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
If the only reason you need a .doc is to hand off to others, export your .doc when you're done. What's wrong with the pages document as your working file?

OP
J
Reaction score
If the only reason you need a .doc is to hand off to others, export your .doc when you're done. What's wrong with the pages document as your working file?

Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense really, as -when I've had to convert things from word or excel to another format, you only do it once the thing is done- obviously I'm a little nervous about doing the work and then losing everything, which is why I was saving my work every two minutes as a word file.

With regards to the language option, it is set as UK English - so I'm not sure what's going on there...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well UK English will get the spelling right LOL!

As a suggestion, next month Office 2011 for Mac will be out. Office is still the best app on the market if you are going to be doing a lot of communication with PC users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.