• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone else using Sprint?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I just switched to Sprint a few days (from Tmobile & At&t) Just trying to get feedback from any other Sprint customers here about the quality of service, In particular data speeds. So far I have not once been able to get 4G service where I live, and my download speeds are much much slower than At&t and Tmobile, Even the signal strength in my house is much lower than At&t/Tmobile. Anyway not complaining just never used them before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Never used them and what you just described is why. Everyone I know who has been with Sprint has dumped them.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Never used them and what you just described is why. Everyone I know who has been with Sprint has dumped them.

I'm thinking the same thing, I can't believe I had faster download speeds and better 3G with Tmobile, Than Sprint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've always found Sprint voice quality to be kind of low quality compared to the others. Almost a tin can kind of sound and it's pretty consistent regardless of who I'm calling or their location in the country.

IMHO Sprint's main issue is they resell so much of their network to various affiliates that I honestly believe it's way oversold which affects the quality.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMHO Sprint's main issue is they resell so much of their network to various affiliates that I honestly believe it's way oversold which affects the quality.

I noticed they resell Virgin mobile and Boost Mobile. Needless to say I live in a area where I get excellent At&t 3G & Tmobile 3G speeds, the Sprint 3G is slow less than 1.00Mbps, And the 4G like I said never seen it once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I noticed they resell Virgin mobile and Boost Mobile. Needless to say I live in a area where I get excellent At&t 3G & Tmobile 3G speeds, the Sprint 3G is slow less than 1.00Mbps, And the 4G like I said never seen it once.

Well Sprint (and Verizon) 3G is CDMA based which generally is slower than GSM 3G implementations so I would expect to see Sprint a little slower.

Now real-world results of course vary based on all kinds of factors.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I thought you were using your new iPhone 4 unlocked on the T-Mobile network? What made you switch to Sprint?

I was a Sprint subscriber for several years and finally gave up on them because of weak/intermittent signal quality and poor customer support (here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area).

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought you were using your new iPhone 4 unlocked on the T-Mobile network? What made you switch to Sprint?

I was a Sprint subscriber for several years and finally gave up on them because of weak/intermittent signal quality and poor customer support (here in the Dallas - Fort Worth area).

We decided to switch because of the $69 unlimited plan, On top of that I get a 25% discount through work, The bill would be much less than Tmobile. At the rate things are going I think were switching back to Tmobile.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
We decided to switch because of the $69 unlimited plan, On top of that I get a 25% discount through work, The bill would be much less than Tmobile. At the rate things are going I think were switching back to Tmobile.
All depends where you live, really.

I've got good coverage in souther california, the only bad thing is the horrible customer service. They're bad and rude.

Can't really complain with the great deal I got.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I guess everyone's experience is different. I had t-mobile for years until I switched to Sprint 2 years ago. I have the evo 4g, and I am also stuck without 4g service until next year. But I still get around 2.5 mbps on 3g, and it is so much cheaper than the other services. I pay $119.99 a month for 2 lines unlimited everything. You can't even get unlimited with at&t anymore, and that plan would be over $200 on verizon. I haven't priced tmobile since I left them. But all in all....I am very happy with Sprint here in Ohio.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess everyone's experience is different. I had t-mobile for years until I switched to Sprint 2 years ago. I have the evo 4g, and I am also stuck without 4g service until next year. But I still get around 2.5 mbps on 3g, and it is so much cheaper than the other services. I pay $119.99 a month for 2 lines unlimited everything. You can't even get unlimited with at&t anymore, and that plan would be over $200 on verizon. I haven't priced tmobile since I left them. But all in all....I am very happy with Sprint here in Ohio.

I just left Tmobile I'm on the same 2 line unlimited plan and it's even cheaper than Tmobile. Sprint says 4G will be live in my area by late Sept early Oct. I have the EVO 4G and like it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had good voice quality on Sprint. Data was so slow the web was virtually unusable on my Palm Centro so I never made use of it. Then again I didn't expect 3G in an area that is semi-rural.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Stupid question, but, if a carrier isn't following through on their end of the contract terms such as up and download speed, call quality or coverage etc.. then would it not be possible to end the contract without having to pay an ETF ?

Doug

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stupid question, but, if a carrier isn't following through on their end of the contract terms such as up and download speed, call quality or coverage etc.. then would it not be possible to end the contract without having to pay an ETF ?

Doug

Absolutely, That's how I got out of my Tmobile contract took a few calls but after politely explaining to several customer reps that Tmobile's service & hardware was no longer up to par. Tmobile waived our ETF's for all 3 lines (a total of $600)

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update: Woke up this morning to 4G on my phone I ran a few speedtest
4G speeds averaged 5Mbps to 6Mbps. I will say the 4G is still spotty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Update: Woke up this morning to 4G on my phone I ran a few speedtest
4G speeds averaged 5Mbps to 6Mbps. I will say the 4G is still spotty.
The speeds are pretty good, but as you said the coverage is spotty in most places. There is no 4g where I live, but I recently went to Boston and there was some coverage there. I only got it in parts of the city, however.

I hope that it will become more consistent but you have to remember it is still pretty new and currently better than anything in the USA.

OP
bargsbeer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The speeds are pretty good, but as you said the coverage is spotty in most places. There is no 4g where I live, but I recently went to Boston and there was some coverage there. I only got it in parts of the city, however.

I hope that it will become more consistent but you have to remember it is still pretty new and currently better than anything in the USA.

The 4G is spotty,but just like At&t and Tmobile have both made major improvements in their network Sprint will follow in time. I have seen an improvement in just the past week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.