monitor problems

Reaction score
Ihave a Switchable Mac Monitor Adaptor, 10 DIP Switches , i do not know how this works it has 10 switches which one do i use to get my monitor to work, help please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just skip the adapter and hook your monitor direct to the G3 using the correct cable. No one here has any idea of what kind of an adapter you're using or why you're using it? If you must use the adapter, check the instructions for it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm guessing the OP is trying to use an adapter similar to the 1st photo below. On one end it has the OLD DB-15 "Apple" video connector (2nd photo), and on the other end is a VGA port. The "DIP" switches were used to "dial-in" a single resolution for the monitor to display.

I would recommend getting a video adapter like the one pictured on the left in photo #3. It eliminates the DIP switches...and you control the monitors resolution via the Operating System "Display or Monitors" Control Panel.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

405174.jpg

090_db15_m_front.jpg

macvga.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow Nick, you gave us all a lesson in adapters. The adapter with the dip switches reminds me of the days when I was doing MUX up and down with an AT&T type "break out box". Anyone remember those?

Anyway, thanks for posting the photos. Hopefully that will help the OP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow Nick, you gave us all a lesson in adapters. The adapter with the dip switches reminds me of the days when I was doing MUX up and down with an AT&T type "break out box". Anyone remember those?

Anyway, thanks for posting the photos. Hopefully that will help the OP.

Yeah...we're talking some pretty "old school" stuff here!;)

I have at least one of each of the adapters photoed...and to be honest...I never needed to use one of the adapters with the "DIP" switches to achieve the resolution(s) I needed on an old CRT display via a VGA port. Not that the adapter with the DIP switches didn't get the job done...it was just as hassle. The problem with the adapters with the DIP switches is you're stuck with just the single resolution setting via the DIP switches. If you want a different resolution...you needed to "dial-in" a different DIP switch combination.

I've always used this adapter on the left in the 3rd photo to do the DB-15 video port (on old old Mac's) to VGA port...and then I was always able to use the "Display" or "Monitors" Control Panel in OS 8 or 9 to get the resolution I wanted (just like we do with OS X today)...or if OS 8 or 9 wasn't capable of it...I was always able to find a shareware or freeware program that took care of "business".:)

I'm guessing that the OP is trying to connect a more modern monitor to their old G3 Powermac...and the G3 Powermac has the DB-15 video port...and the monitor (as the OP mentioned) has a VGA cable on it.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
althe bowler: I tried finding a DIP switch settings table for the 10 DIP switch adapter you have...but I couldn't find one. I did find one for an 8 DIP switch video adapter...but I wasn't sure it would work with your 10 switch adapter. Here it is just in case...I apologize for the size and quality of the photo...it's from the internet...so it is what it is.:)

HTH,

- Nick

macpnp.jpg

OP
A
Reaction score
Yes i am trying to connect my VGA monitor to a DB-15 VIDEO PORT. Would i be able to use a PCI Graphics card, if so would any do or do Macs have a special one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.