Is full install of XCode necessary?

Reaction score
In an attempt to use the command line to install a program from source I wanted to use the 'make' command in Unix, however, I get the message 'Command not found'. After looking around on some forums I came across the program XCode which I then downloaded.

My question is this: do I really need to install a 2.5 GB program (XCode) in order to have compiler functionality? Is there a minimal install for those who like to only use the command line or are there any alternatives?

I am a newbie in the Mac world after taking a 20 year break. (My last Mac was a Mac Plus. :D)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I haven't found a simpler way of getting the required compiler tools without installing Xcode. You may be out of luck here.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the fast response. I guess I will have to go ahead with the full install of XCode.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Helps if you include your OS. Any chance you are using Snow Leopard? XCode v.2.3 is included, but not installed. It is necessary to go into Applications on the SL disc and run the installer.

Xcode - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.