Windows XP boot camp issues

Reaction score
Hello.

Just got my new iMac i7 yesterday. Installed Windows XP (w/SP2) via Boot Camp. Seemed like everything worked. Once XP was up and running, put in the Snow Leopard disk to install the OS X drivers. Once again, seemed like everything went okay. Once done, that's when I noticed the problems. 1) None of my bluetooth devices work (although I saw the drivers get installed). Luckily I had a USB mouse to get me out. 2) Seems that the only options I have for screen resolution while in XP are ones that are 1.3 ratio, not the 1.78 ratio the iMac has. 3) Try as I might, I can never get an internet connection up and running. Works while in OS X, but Windows doesn't see any networks.

Thanks for any assistance.

Reaction score
Have you installed and run Boot Camp 3.1? It's a windows executable downloaded from the Apple support site. Try that first; you might also try to reinstall the drivers from your SL install disk, and then report back.

Cheers

OP
H
Reaction score
Evening.

Well, I tried as you instructed. Thanks. Everything is up and running except for one thing. The display will still only give me 1.3-ratio options. Tried updating drivers (both WinXP and Boot Camp WinXP; desktop and notebook (per another person's suggestion)). Something else I might be missing?

Thanks again.

EDIT: Just tried to install Stalker: Call of Pripyat on Boot Camp XP. Game ran it's check and came back with this: "The hardware highlighted with red doesn't meet game's system requirements. Video Card: ~0MB (1920x1440)." My iMac has the ATI HD5750 with 1GB VRAM. Now I'm really lost.

Again, thanks.

Reaction score
Run device manager (devmgmt.msc) to see what drivers have not been installed properly.
Also run dxdiag.exe to see status of your graphics card.

Reaction score
You may need to install the ATI mobility drivers - the new iMacs think they have a desktop video adapter when what they really have is the laptop version. Search this forum for HD5750 and you'll find posts with the link to the mobility (laptop) versions of your drivers - that's what you need to install.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
SammySlim is right on! He needs the mobility drivers - same problem as many others have experienced. Download and install from ATI and that should fix it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Hello again.

Ran devmgmt.msc. The audio and video drivers come up as bad. Also ran dxdiag.exe The video card just came up as some generic card. Tried searching the forums for HD5750. No luck. Maybe I don't know how to the search to work properly. Going to ATI, the website states they don't supply mobility drivers seeing as each company that makes laptops has a set a drivers they specifically use. The tell you to go the the laptop manufacturer website. Going to Apple.com, I can't find anything related to HD5750.

As much as I would like to play Dawn of War II, Stalker, Witcher, etc., I might just have to call this a failed experiment and delete my boot camp partition.

OP
H
Reaction score
Good evening.

Well, tried the link. Was a service that wanted me to pay $20 or $30 to analyze and get my out of date drivers corrected. Nope. Also tried a couple other places for drives. Stuff would install but whenever I checked the system, the video card was still coming up VGA device (or something like that).

I guess this is just a sign. Plus, with Logic Studio, Ableton, Spore, StarCraft 2, Photoshop and Illustrator calling me from my Mac HD, guess I have enough to keep me busy here.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download ATI drivers from the AMD site here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.