A couple of things with my iPhone 4...

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I took delivery of my 32GB iPhone 4 about 3 weeks ago and I love it. Last week though, I opened the camera app and the phone instantly rebooted. When it came back on I went back to the camera app and it was in the video camera section but the shutter was constantly stuck closed. Upon switching to the camera section, the focus 'square' flickered a bit then it crashed and the phone restarted. I tried this a few times and I couldn't get it to work. Note: if I could be in the camera app long enough I could switch to the front camera and it was fine. Needless to say I restored my phone and reset all the settings... the problem was still there and my iPhone had rebooted lots of times by now!

I called Apple and the technician went through all the tests then said that it's a hardware fault and I should return it. A couple of hours after this though, I rebooted my iPhone again and it was working fine. This was about a week ago now and I've not had the problem since.

I ordered the iPhone from the Apple UK website and had it delievered in the UK but now I'm working for a while in Cologne. The nearest Apple store to here is about 100 miles away in Frankfurt. Here's my dilemma: 1) do I just carry on as normal seeing as it's working again? 2) surely there's a problem somewhere and it might come back... for £599 it should be right.

It's quite difficult because the Apple UK website will only replace in the UK. The woman on the phone said I 'should be able' to go on the German Apple website and submit a repair request but I'm not too sure about this. If I get the ball rolling I don't want a repair, I should have a straight-up replacement.

Any suggestions? Have a good day everyone, it's weekend! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
As far as I know Apple doesn't "Repair" iPhones they swap them out for new ones (You should be safe there). As for the warranty being valid in another country, I'm not so sure about. I had a factory unlocked iPhone that was bought brand new in Italy and there warranty was non-existent in the U.S. granted it may be different in Europe. Before you go and waste a 100 mile trip I would call the Apple Store in Germany first.

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

I've still not decided what to do about this because the problem hasn't yet returned but from reading up on this I've heard that other people have this intermittent problem. I know that on my 'file' with Apple, it's noted that they told me my phone has a hardware problem and that I can get a replacement because after I spoke to Apple UK my girlfriend called Apple Germany and they had a note on their system saying my iPhone had a problem. Ideally, I'd like to be able to walk in an Apple store and pick up a replacement straight away. Does anyone know if stores have them in stock now for replacements (brand new, not refurbished of course) or would I be in a queue with people waiting to buy one?

I might wait until I have a weekend in the UK and pop into an Apple store there...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.