MacBookPro can't start-a spinning wheel permanently on. Help me please!

Reaction score
When tried to start MacbookPro it produced the usual startup sound , then displayed a grey screen with the Apple logo but the startup process stopped here with a spinning wheel under the logo.
I left it to see if it will start anyway but the computer just does not proceed with the startup, the wheel is still spinning on and on .
I can't restart it by unplugging the power because the battery can not be eliminated.

Can't try PRAM reset at the start - the machine is just frozen in this state with the spinning wheel on screen and I have no access to it at all.

I guess I can't use the manufacturer's startup disk because the computer is stuck in the middle this startup process.

MacbookPro is Intel based and runs on OSX 10.6.

Extra info: yesterday I had problem with System Preferences panel where for no apparent reason it was not possible to open the padlocks despite of the fact I have admin access , then I shut the Mac down and noticed that it takes longer than usual to shut down - don't know if this is related to the current startup problem but I'm not a techie and just don't know...

How to restart this laptop? Any help , please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Press & hold the power button for 5-7 sec. Then you can put the disk in or zap the pram or whatever when you start it again

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.