Win 7/ OS X printer sharing

Reaction score
Hello! I've recently bought my first Macbook Pro.
I am trying to configure the thing to let me share files and printers across my network. I have a printer configured to share and allow connections to it, and I tried to connect to it via:
Finder> Go> Server> smb://home-pc/printer name

But whenever I get to this, I always get prompted for a username and password. Originally the Windows 7 PC doesn't have a password but when I try to log onto the server without a password, it says password is incorrect. I even tried to put a password onto the PC but it still denies it.

Is there any way to get around this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Have you tried going in to System Preferences>Print and Fax, then check the box which says Share this printer on the network.

OP
A
Reaction score
^well i've managed to log onto the printer now.
But theres a new problem: When I print something on my mac, the print job appears in the que on my PC.
However the job just says its "spooling" and stays like that indefinately. I tried bypassing spooling in the printer properties option by sending it "straight to printer", but selecting this option makes print jobs unable to be listed in the que.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Mac doesn't have the right driver, because your Windows box can't serve it one. You'll need to install the proper driver, right now it's probably just using a "Generic Postscript" driver, which it will default to when there isn't an appropriate one available.

Unfortunately, most commercial drivers don't play nice with ordinarily locally attached printers connected to a print server.

What kind of printer is it?

You might get lucky and find that there's a Gutenprint (a suite of compatible open source drivers) alternative, but if it's relatively new, that likely won't be the case.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well, I selected "other printer" from the drop down list of printer drivers and then selected my printer series "Canon MP480 Series".
Nevertheless the print jobs sent over to the PC remains "spooling" indefinately. When I tried to disable spooling by sending the jobs straight to printer (via PC printer properties settings) the jobs just disappear altogether.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.