Hardware issues Unibody Macbook 2008

Reaction score
Hi,

In november 2008 I bought my very first Mac, which I'm still using now.
It's a Unibody Macbook 2.0Ghz (upgraded to 4GB RAM and 500GB HDD).

But now 2 major hardware issues start to show up.
One is cosmetically, while the other is seriously disturbing my work.

1. Cracks in the hinge.

Today I suddenly noticed that some cracks formed on the hinge. I do remember a loud click last week, but I couldn't see anything weird on my Macbook afterwards.
I tried to take pictures that show it. As you see, the cracks are found on the inside, under the Macbook logo.
If the macbook is closed, the cracks face the ventilation/speakers, so it's not damage that could've happend while in my bag.
Please look at the images and say what you think I should do.
219pdzm.jpg

2uf616t.jpg

2uf616t.jpg

I read other cases of hinges cracking (all 2008 models), so might this be something like the white plastic macbook where the top cracked?

2. Trackpad works barely
Clicking works like 7/10 times and if I want to drag or select some text, I first have to try it for like 5 times before it works. I will try to make a video of it, but I'm afraid it might be a bit unclear.
I didn't spill anything on it, it just started working less.
I did notice that my trackpad lays a bit deeper in the case then new macbooks. Could this be the reason?
Tapping and doubletapping (and all other "multiple finger" gestures) work fine, just the click won't work properly since a few weeks.

Looking forward to hear from you what I should do with this.
I didn't buy Apple care, so my full warranty has run out last november, only the limited warranty runs until this november. Do you think I can get this to fall under the limited warranty? What should I tell the shop/helpdesk when I speak to them?

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your warranty ran out last November, you're no longer covered nor is Apple obligated to repair it at their cost. I'm not sure what you mean by "Limited Warranty"? Unless Apple has extended the warranty for certain items, like the hinges for example, you may wind up paying for all service and repairs.

Take it on in to your local Apple store and have them look at it and give you an estimate. If they can repair it at no cost to you, they'll tell you. You might also ask - just in case.

OP
RobbertV
Reaction score
The warranty by law is 2 years in Europe. First year covers the whole warranty, without questions.
In the 2nd year, you really have to prove it wasn't your fault (of course they will find out if it was your fault in the first year, and charge you, but in the 2nd year it's even more difficult).

I think I might go to the city saturday, just want to get it checked.

Thanks chscag!

OP
RobbertV
Reaction score
Went to the mac shop today and he said that he could indeed see it wasn't my fault this happened.
He also mentioned that, if it's true that more people get this problem, it might become some kind of extended warranty, like with the white macbook.

I'll keep you posted on this!

Of course I also asked about my trackpad, but (as always) when you try to show something broken to an "expert", it will always work. So that problem kinda didn't get the attention it needed. Selecting text and dragging etc. still works now, so it's fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.