Backing up onto an already used external hard drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I was looking into alternate ways of backing up my Macbook, since last time I ONLY backed up to my external hard drive it almost crashed to the point of no return. So, this time I was looking online and found something called Carbon Copy Cloner, which makes a bootable backup copy of my laptop's drive.

The question I have is, I already am using my 1TB external with 3 partitions. If I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup on one of the partitions not being used, will it erase everything on my external instead of just the partition I want to back it up on??

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If you back up to an unused partition, the remaining partitions will be left untouched. CCC will, however, erase anything that is on the partition that you back up to, so make sure the partition is unused, or at the least, that the info on that partition can be erased.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.