13" MBP rebuildable? pics inside

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have/had a 13" Macbook Pro that I recently bought to upgrade my 15" Macbook Pro (2007 version).

The other day at work we were vandalized and that night I happened to have made a big mistake on leaving my mac in the office! The guy who broke in beat this thing to pieces. I mean he threw it across the room, hit it against a door frame, I mean the works.

Amazingly I was able to take the HDD out and put it in a Western Digital Passport enclosure and get all my files out of it!

When I opened it up, everything looks good internally. The board is still all in one piece (it didn't bend like the case did). The only things that are messed up on this computer is the screen, the keyboard, the mouse, and the shell.

If I could find a donor computer, this thing would be up and running! Are there any websites that manufacture or sell Apple replacement parts?

I dont know though how I should proceed... It is covered by Apple Care, and I have only had it for a couple of months. I am tempted to rebuild it and then maybe either sell it or give it to my fiance.

Here are some pictures to show you just how beat up this thing got.
What do you guys think??

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo3.jpg

.. On a positive note, I still have my MBP (2007), and my 2009 MacMini got a 4gb memory boost, parts from the destroyed MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys,

I have/had a 13" Macbook Pro that I recently bought to upgrade my 15" Macbook Pro (2007 version).

The other day at work we were vandalized and that night I happened to have made a big mistake on leaving my mac in the office! The guy who broke in beat this thing to pieces. I mean he threw it across the room, hit it against a door frame, I mean the works.

Doesn't your place of employment have some sort of insurance that would cover replacement of your computer due to the break-in/vandalism?

Rebuilding it is probably not an option...the total cost for replacement parts would be sky-high!:(

But if you want to...you can check these guys out for the cost of parts:

iFixit

Good luck,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
The cost that would go into that is simply not worth it. The screen alone will be close to a $600 bill with the lid. I would say that is a total loss and hopefully you can get some insurance money from the company policy.

What a freaking moron to do something like that. I sure hope he / she is caught.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I would be keeping my eyes on eBay for a 13" with a bad logic board. They are on there all the time. Liquid spills and such that AppleCare won't cover. I think they usually go for between $300-$500. If your employer covers you AND you get to keep the old one, it would be well worth it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would be keeping my eyes on eBay for a 13" with a bad logic board. They are on there all the time. Liquid spills and such that AppleCare won't cover. I think they usually go for between $300-$500. If your employer covers you AND you get to keep the old one, it would be well worth it.

That is a really great suggestion. If you could find one with spill damage, it would be a very easy repair.

I guess my only question is... this kind of vandalism seems like a VERY personal matter. Any random joker would have snapped that thing up and sold it. Just out of curiosity, do the the police have any leads? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to nail down.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
That is a really great suggestion. If you could find one with spill damage, it would be a very easy repair.

I guess my only question is... this kind of vandalism seems like a VERY personal matter. Any random joker would have snapped that thing up and sold it. Just out of curiosity, do the the police have any leads? I can't imagine it would be terribly difficult to nail down.

They must have been under the influence of some substance and or very angry to do that to a MBP.

Hopefully they nail that person for doing that to your property.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
Just because you don't see any damage to the logic board doesn't mean that there isn't some hidden problem. You could spend the $300 or so on eBay looking for something with water damage and find out that your board has an issue. There could be broken solder joints, etc. that you are not seeing.

Again, without knowing your board works 100% you could be wasting cash for nothing. Get some insurance payment, throw that in the trash and move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Just because you don't see any damage to the logic board doesn't mean that there isn't some hidden problem. You could spend the $300 or so on eBay looking for something with water damage and find out that your board has an issue. There could be broken solder joints, etc. that you are not seeing.

Again, without knowing your board works 100% you could be wasting cash for nothing. Get some insurance payment, throw that in the trash and move on.

If that turned out to be the case, you could just put it back on eBay in the same condition you bought it and still get around what you paid for it. There really is a pretty good market on there for non-functioning Macs.

OP
F
Reaction score
My companies insurance covered my MBP, I was going to just fix it and give it to someone in the family. I already bought a 13" 2010 mbp to replace this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.