MBP airport issues. Please help, your my only hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" C2D 2.26 2G RAM 500GB HDD, iPod touch 64GB
So I have a MBP that works everywhere except for my dads house.
Most other devices work at my dads house except for my MBP which seems to find every excuse not to connect to the internet. I have on rare occasion been able to connect but its becoming less often and usually when I am able to connect to the network I am still barred for internet access.

I tried calling Apple support and the guy was nice enough to give me a couple pointers which proved useless before giving me the boot for having expired coverage. Oh, but he did offer a one time assistance call for $59.99 :Angry-Tongue:

The router is an Asus RT-N15 N Gigbit, which is fairly new and does not seem to cause problems for any other devices except for my MBP, and maybe my Wii but thats a different issue.

I have tried multiple types of Apple support suggested encryptions such as WEP-128bit and WPA2-Personal but either results in a connection timeout or more strangely the password appears as invalid (which its not). I have also tried changing the SSID name, the passphrase, and resetting the router and modem many times.

Ive tried many options through the Network settings in Preferences as well and I am now at my wits end.

I H A T E networking :Angry: This is the only thing which I truly hate about my Mac. I know the aluminum uni-body blocks reception but this is ridicules.

I can connect without problems through my ethernet port.

I would very much appreciate some help since I am becoming very desperate and frustrated once again by networking issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Have you tried with no encryption - not that I'm saying you should run that way but as a first test I would try running open and see if your macbook connects and stays connected. If it doesn't then you may have bad hardware. If it does stay connected - then it is probably some security thing you have set that isn't completely jiving - i.e. do you have MAC filtering, SSID hidden, etc etc. If you do - turn everything to the most open it can be - then try to stay connected.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont have any custom MAC settings and my SSID is not hidden. I am actually able to connect to the network if I remove the password, but I am still not able to connect to the internet. Thanks for the reply :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It sounds like you are not getting DHCP served. Can you manually put in an IP address/DNS - and get to web pages? Also what are your DHCP settings - maybe you only have a small amount of dhcp numbers being served - that is a setting on most routers.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I apologize for being so dependent, but maybe this can tell you something.
screenshot20100901at346.png
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I cannot tell because you blanked it out - but how many numbers are between ip starting address and ip ending address? Is there more than the devices on your network? Don't forget to count any network printers, and any network attached storage.

You can also use the manually assigned IP -> enable it -> put in your MAC address of your Mac -> and the ip address you want it assigned.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately I'm not too sure what I did but my problem's solved. I added my MBP's MAC address and ip to the DHCP list and something clicked :)

Thanks for the help IvanLasston

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.