Apple TV-Upgradeable? Classic still here

Reaction score
I think the new AppleTV is great and $99 isn't bad but still even for that price, I like my current AppleTV. I figured if they put iOS on it I would upgrade but yet without it, I see no point to upgrade. Also, since there's no iOS on it I think it's more likely I can upgrade my AppleTV to the new software.
Does anyone know if it will be upgradable? Honestly even if I could get $100 for it on eBay I prefer having a hard drive. I like the netflix service but I already have a PS3 that i use for that and I'm not big on tv and movie rentals and mostly stream or store from iTunes now.

Also, a side note. Is is true the iPod Classic is still available? I was shocked when Steve Jobs said he's updating all ipods. I thought 'what can they do with the classic'. He didn't mention it then so I thought it was a goner but I still see it on Apple so is it not being cancelled? My iPod Video is getting old and I have an Iphone so the iPod Classic is my favorite iPod. if it was going away I was going to buy one today while I still can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Ditto in the ATV2. Looks nice, but I'd like to see if the software upgrades will be pushed to the original ATV before I buy a new one. Still, for $100 it seems like a decent, albeit Apple format centric, media streamer. I wonder if anything other than H.264 video will stream to it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
Nope. Will not be upgradable. Apple announced they will no longer be supporting the older version of Apple TV.

I believe the new Apple TV is indeed running on the iOS. Modified of course, but it makes sense. Just like the old Apple TV, it's runs a modified version of Tiger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I believe the new Apple TV is indeed running on the iOS. Modified of course, but it makes sense. Just like the old Apple TV, it's runs a modified version of Tiger.

What the new one runs is still open to speculation...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
True, but we have yet to see a flavor of OS X / snow leopard run on an A4 chip.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.