HD freezes when transferring data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
I have a 320GB LaCie Firewire 600 harddrive hooked up to my Macbook Pro. I've noticed that it has been "hiccuping" when I use programs like Pro Tools. The drive is recognized by the computer still but if I try to copy or move a large file it will freeze on me and stay that way until I shut off the power. Has anyone experienced this before and is there any way to fix this or some other solution? The HD has been dropped before but this problem arose long after that happened.

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A dropped hard drive might have incurred some slight damage to its heads or possibly the platters. Sometimes it shows up right away but not always. I would replace the drive as it certainly can not be relied on.

LaCie does not make their own hard drives so it's likely the drive that's in the carrier is not proprietary. If you're able, remove the damaged drive from the carrier and replace it with another. Large fast hard drives are not expensive.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
What can be done with the data that's on the HD? I have a bunch of projects that I don't want to lose. Anyway to get them off?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Give Data Rescue 3 a try. Download their trial copy to see if it works for you. If it does, buy a license to turn on full program functions. Unfortunately this software is a bit pricey at $99 US but well worth it if your data is critical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.