want to buy macbook or macbook pro-how common are wifi issues/battery faults etc?

Reaction score
hi im loooking to buy a macbook or the pro, was planning to buy instore sometime this week, but there seems to be alot of posts about swollen batteries, and other hardware issues
plenty of people mentioned wifi dropouts

are these kind of issues even common in the latest 2010 macbook model? i was willing to pay the money on the assumption that macs are longer lasting than PC's etc
(im kindov a mac newbie)

but feeling put off, please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iM ac,13.3" Aluminium Unibody Macbook, iPhone 4
There loads longer lasting, I've never had a problem personally. But you gotta be aware that with anything thats popular as macbooks theres gonna be the odd few that are dodgy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I also haven't had any issues with my MBP yet. I also haven't really heard a lot of the claims you're talking about so I don't think it's as much an issue as it is just a fault in those certain situations. Could be faulty batteries or AirPort cards, but I don't think it's a widespread issue. I would say to stop worrying so much and just buy it. I was worried about a lot of things before I bought my MBP and just sucked it up and bought it and couldn't be happier. There are those unfortunate enough to receive a glitchy machine and they are discouraged from continuing with Apple products. I haven't had any problems and would say go for it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
hi im loooking to buy a macbook or the pro, was planning to buy instore sometime this week, but there seems to be alot of posts about swollen batteries, and other hardware issues
plenty of people mentioned wifi dropouts

are these kind of issues even common in the latest 2010 macbook model? i was willing to pay the money on the assumption that macs are longer lasting than PC's etc
(im kindov a mac newbie)

but feeling put off, please help.

Most people come to web forums for help. Very rarely does anyone visit a forum to say that things are going great and they're pleased with their machine. So, what you're seeing is a vocal minority of customers who are seeking help.

As such, web forums are a terrible gauge of product reliability -- and the same goes for any product you can think of.

Apple's products have consistently been top rated for reliability and quality over the course of decades -- and their customer service rates just as well. So, if you do have an issue, you can rest assured it will be taken care of.

My advice? Do your research, but use objective sources to gauge the reliability of the product. Read professional reviews from a variety of sources, but don't sweat the anecdotal stories out there, as you're only getting part of the picture.

Reaction score
I have a intel core 2 duo macbook. I have had it for around 2 years now and it has been pretty **** good.

I have had a couple of issues with it though. After I upgraded to Snow Leopard I had some issues with the standard Safari browser locking the computer and forcing me to restart. I solved this issue by using the "WebKit" version of Safari... No further issues to date.

I was also having issues with the airport card just suddenly stop working. I found some work-arounds online and just sucked it up and got through it for the week or so before Apple sent out a new software update that solved the problem. I guess it was an odd hardware/software conflict that only affected a very few macbooks of my generation (2,2).

I also had the battery literally just die. I wouldn't charge and the only way I was able to use the laptop was with the charger plugged in. Someone walked by and the magsafe popped out and it was lights out, start from scratch.. I dealt with it for 2 days before deciding to take it to the Genius bar, without an appointment I might add. They still took care of me right away and I filled out the required form and left the MacBook with them. I did not have Apple Care on this device and was worried I was going to pay an arm and a leg. I then received a call the next day stating that they replaced the battery for me and it was ready to be picked up. I asked them how much the cost of the new battery was gladly told that it was "No Charge."

Apple has a great product. Any piece of technological equipment can experience some issues, ESPECIALLY if it is a Human Interface Device such as a laptop. Apple backs up their products with excellent customer service and a great reputation. You really do get what you pay for and that is rare now-a-days.

Now go get yourself a new Mac!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
+1 on cwa107's post/advice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
I just got my first macbook about a week and a half ago and so far it's been running great, The "10 hour battery life" is obviously wrong but surfing/browsing you can get 7-8 hours and playing a game you can go about 4-5. Way better than a Windows laptop that goes maybe 2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Ya wanna know the BEST thing about buying from an Apple store or Apple in general ? Let's say you DO wind up having a problem that was not caused by you... Even if you're out of warranty (given that you didn't opt for Apple Care which usually extends the warranty an extra 2 years) Apple will usually never question the customer and either repair or replace the product for free.

Especially if the problem was documented during the warranty period, and it persists pasts that time. Most of the time with other manufacturers, you'll get a fix if it's within the warranty period and only then. (unless the lemon law applies as such) But that also usually requires the customer to either mail it in or bring it to a store and not get it back for god knows how long.

With Apple, you get an informed answer and usually will know how long until you get your machine back. I really do appreciate the effort they put in, to make sure their CS is above the usual standards out there.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.