Finder freezing when opening downloads file

Bee

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm using a macbook which I have only had for about a year and a half. I don't use it for much technical stuff, just basic photo stuff, internet, music, a few games and uni work. Nothing heavy that should make it run slow. But recently the only problem I have been having is that whenever I try and open my Downloads folder, my finder becomes unresponsive.. It doesn't happen with any other folder. And I can open what I want from there by going through the application necessary and doing it that way, just cant open the downloads folder directly.

Have I maybe contracted a virus or is it something else?
I cant say I know much about computers of any sorts so I haven't tried much yet..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It's not a virus.

Please give the path to this Downloads folder. (What folder is it inside of?)

OP
B

Bee

Reaction score
Its when you open finder and the users default folders appear first (i.e. desktop, downloads, documents, photos, music ect)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, that doesn't happen to me. I don't get when people say they "open Finder". Tells me there's a lack of understanding. Finder has to be open for you to do anything. Finder opens when the computer boots. Sorry, can't help you yet. Try to answer my question again if you want. Give me the folder the folder is in and the folder that folder is in. Turn on the Path Bar, and it will tell you what the folders are.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I was hoping it would be somewhere else, meaning an easier time to troubleshoot the problem. If you boot from another user account, it should also have a default Downloads folder. Can you open it without the same problems? If you don't have another account, you can create one in System Preferences > Accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.