TF2+Ram question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
Hello I am playing TF2(mac os x) and I have a Mid 2010 Macbook. (2.4 ghz duel core, 2 gigs ram, geforce 320m). I am currently getting 20-30 fps on recommended settings (med/high) and was wondering if it was due to the amount of ram I have. Would my fps go up to like 40-50ish if i upgraded to 4 gigs of ram? I know the processor and video card and handle tf2 fine.

Reaction score
Hi, thought I might as well give you a reply as I've just signed up to the forum and should probably contribute.
The answer is yes, you will see a considerable difference from 2GB of ram to 4GB.

I myself am on a Mid 2010 8GB 2.66Ghz Macbook Pro and max out the settings with a happy 80fps. It's fantastic.

Moving from 2GB to 4GB is definitely, without a doubt, going to make a significant change to gaming. Of course, you would not need 8GB for such a task. I use it more for graphically intensive applications such as Photoshop/Final Cut Pro.

Hope I answered that there.

Regards,

George

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - Duel Core 2.4 ghz, geforce 320m 2 gigs ram, 250 gb
Do you think that my Geforce 320m is possibly bottlenecking my performance on tf2? or do you think its the ram (or even possibly the cpu)?

Reaction score
Do you think that my Geforce 320m is possibly bottlenecking my performance on tf2? or do you think its the ram (or even possibly the cpu)?

If I'm honest, all of it could do with a beautiful upgrade. However you only just bought this laptop and that's just silly to get a new one just for gaming. Because let's face it, Mac's dont game.

You cannot upgrade your CPU, well you can, but its really far out. So give that idea up now.

You have a 256mb and I have a 512mb, but we have the same GPU so no, I don't think it makes a significant impact. Everything bottlenecks at some point, but you need to realise that the only thing you can conveniently upgrade on a Mac unibody is the RAM. Anything else, and your voiding your warranty if I remember correctly. What's more is notebooks are incredibly hard to upgrade (other than RAM).

The biggest factor is clearly RAM, and it would benefit you mostly to upgrade to 4GB. RAM seems to be your only option if i'm honest.

Regards,

George

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.