MBP trackpad select button stays 'on'

Reaction score
Its the most annoying thing, but every once in awhile my 17" MBP trackpad button acts like I am holding down on the button. As you move the cursor on the screen it selects and moves things even though my thumb is not holding down on it. It practically makes the MB useless until I restart... so I wouldn't think that its a physical problem as a restart almost always clears it. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but I'm going to as about your machine because people will need to know in order to help. How old is your MBP and what OS are you running? If you're running Leopard/SL, go to System Preferences > Trackpad and check under the "One Finger" section and see if you have the Tap to Click enabled and any of the other options in that section. That would cause you to click or drag things by touching your trackpad. Hope that helped.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks, Image. Forgot about the build info, 10.6.4 and its last fall's MBP 2.8. I don't think that its a preference thing. I DO have the tap to click enabled and have loved the trackpad's features, but this is definitely a gremlin in the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Just to rule out the user account preferences and going through a run of deleting .plists, try setting up a new user account, and seeing if the problem persists!

OP
B
Reaction score
I'm still at a loss over this. It does it a few times a week and the only way to get out of it is to restart... I just haven't had time to bring it into a store... I was hoping maybe it was a firmware update or something.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I'm still at a loss over this. It does it a few times a week and the only way to get out of it is to restart... I just haven't had time to bring it into a store... I was hoping maybe it was a firmware update or something.

So you come back 2+ months later, still at a loss, but did you try a new user account?

OP
B
Reaction score
No, I haven't but I guess that I could. Its random, so it would just sorta be a waiting game doing nothing productive on the MacBook until/if it happens.
Though, i think that I'm also a bit lost as to what it could have to do with a user account pref?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With strange anomalies.... a new user account can rule out incompatible software, corrupt preferences, etc.
It is a basic trouble shooting step!
I don't believe this to be a hardware issue, because a reboot fixes it!

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok, thanks, 6string, maybe try to give it a try this weekend and report back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's possible ImageX is on to something related to the tap to click preference also. I would definitely turn that off and reboot to see if the problem disappears.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.