basic recording setup for mac

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently using a mac mini 1.42ghz g4 with 1gb memory and 80gb hard drive. I hope this will be able to run a basic recording setup.

I want to get started recording guitar, vocal and bass tracks. Here is what I had in mind:

apogee duet
logic pro
mics, cables

Will this be sufficient? I do want some effects patches (reverb, delay etc) which I think logic will provide. Will I need an external hard drive?

Thanks for any suggestions. I am doing my own research but thought it would be prudent to hear from those who have been there done that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Mac Book Pro 2.16 Ghz Inter Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Ram
You will want an external hard drive. Firewire if you can get it, for the speed. You can get some decent mics for a fair price at any music store. Just depends on what you're going to record. If vocals then large diaphragm condenser will do well. Pencil Condenser for any acoustic guitar. The one thing you'll have to be careful with is your computer power. Effects like reverb and delay can eat up a lot of your RAM. Also logic pro will need more RAM than what you have now if you want it to run smoothly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.